7 stage cp

rawrl337

L2: Junior Member
May 19, 2009
ive check tutorials everywhere and all they show is a 5 stage cp. im looking on how to do a 7 point cp map. whenever i compile my map and try it out, after capping the middle neutral point the match is over.

thanks as always guys :D

rawrl337

May 19, 2009
also anyone know how to find a entity by its number? im getting a compile log error: Error: displacement found on a(n) func_detail entity - not supported (entity 149, brush 0)

zero_rogue

L1: Registered
Sep 15, 2009
ive check tutorials everywhere and all they show is a 5 stage cp. im looking on how to do a 7 point cp map. whenever i compile my map and try it out, after capping the middle neutral point the match is over.

thanks as always guys :D
First off by what you say I dont think you have them setup correctly, you may want to go back and see if everything is set correctly.

The main difference between a 5 cp map and a 7 is the fact there's 2 more points. Whenever a point is capped on a 5 cp map the capping' team's spawn moves forward and the defending team's moves back(given if they are not already at the last one.)

In order to link each of the points you need to set what the previous required point is(this is in the options on the control point itself) set the center one's previously required point to its-self to unlock it at the start of combat. Really all you should need to do is take the 2nd and 3rd points and copy them. then set them to require the 2nd and 3rd to cap and the final's require to cap the new points.

Finally an easy way to find a displacement you accidentally func_detail is to unchecked everything in the filter then turn on displacements and turn off world brushes. the only objects you see should be your func_detail displacement(s).

megawac

L4: Comfortable Member
Oct 2, 2009
ctrl+shift+g is the shortcut to bring up find brush tool

rawrl337

May 19, 2009
i feel like that func_detail is going to take forever to find, i cant find any triggers or anything like that, all i got on my map is just all the buildings, hallways, etc. my map "shell" - skybox, map walls, and floor arent func_details, im not too sure what im trying to find. are player clips supposed to be something other than func_detals?

and i tried using the find brush number but it says brush doesn't exist. ill try playing with the control points after im able to compile

Draco18s

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 19, 2009
Use the "find entity" option under the Map menu.

Put in the number 149.

And yes. Playerclip brushes should be WORLD BRUSHES. They don't split visleafs so there's no reason to put them in a detail group unless you wish to move the clip around with a particular detail object.

rawrl337

May 19, 2009
:/ i put in 149 and nothing comes up :/ ill try a different version i save and try copypasta until i find whats the issue. THAT should finally work

rawrl337

May 19, 2009
i found that it was my "ground" since i was using blends with a func_detail. anyone know how i can turn it back into a world brush. i kinda dont really wanna re do my entire map floor but if there isnt a way thats alright

zero_rogue

Sep 15, 2009
i found that it was my "ground" since i was using blends with a func_detail. anyone know how i can turn it back into a world brush. i kinda dont really wanna re do my entire map floor but if there isnt a way thats alright

select your ground and click "toWorld" (its a button on the right side of the screen right above where you select point entities)

rawrl337

May 19, 2009
First off by what you say I dont think you have them setup correctly, you may want to go back and see if everything is set correctly.

The main difference between a 5 cp map and a 7 is the fact there's 2 more points. Whenever a point is capped on a 5 cp map the capping' team's spawn moves forward and the defending team's moves back(given if they are not already at the last one.)

In order to link each of the points you need to set what the previous required point is(this is in the options on the control point itself) set the center one's previously required point to its-self to unlock it at the start of combat. Really all you should need to do is take the 2nd and 3rd points and copy them. then set them to require the 2nd and 3rd to cap and the final's require to cap the new points.

ok so i think i understand and this si what i have it set up as. is this correct? out of 3 blu cp this is the 2nd one.

cpsetup.jpg

zero_rogue

Sep 15, 2009
ok so i think i understand and this si what i have it set up as. is this correct? out of 3 blu cp this is the 2nd one.

not quite, the previous required point for red should only be blu_cp1_cap.

blu_cp1_cap should have the red previous required point set to "nuetral_cap" <you spelled neutral wrong btw...

The idea is

Red_cp3_cap requires red_cp2_cap for Blu to cap
Red_cp2_cap requires red_cp1_cap for Blu to cap
Red_cp1_cap requires neutral_cap for Blu to cap
neutral_cap requires blu_cp1_cap for Blu to cap
blu_cp1_cap requires blu_cp2_cap for Blu to cap
blu_cp2_cap requires blu_cp3_cap for Blu to cap
blu_cp3_cap requires itself for Blu to cap

Then The same thing but in reverse for red.

I'm planning on making a game mode Reference chart for people who have this very problem. I'll release it on my blog when i finish it. (link is my homepage)

Last edited:

rawrl337

May 19, 2009
hmmm im still getting a winning cap from the one neutral cp and im doing for the neutral cap:

RED Previous Required Point: red_cp1_cap
BLUE Previous Required Point: blu_cp1_cap

and i tired it with the field being blank witht he same effect. :(

Apr 13, 2009
For a linear cp map, don't use required points, just set them up to have indexes that increase in a linear fashion and the game will figure out the rest on its own. So you'd want blu base to have an index of 0 (for example), then first blu cp index 1, second blu cp index 2, mid index 3, and so on all the way to red base with index 6.

rawrl337

May 19, 2009
hmmmm i got rid of all the previous required point yet it still does it.

FIXED fianlly on my neutral point i had GROUP index set to 3

Last edited: