CP 5Gorge

Apr 19, 2009
I assume by now most of up have played Valve's "new" map 5gorge. However, as some of you have seen the map has its fair share of problems and I have come up with a feel a novel solution to it.

As we know Valve will most likely drag its feet and take its sweet time making a new version lest take the opportunity to make this map how it "should" be.

Let me put it this way: Valve wanted feedback on the map right? Then what better then to give it them then to modify and test it to prove to them its much better that way!

Last edited:

red_flame586

L420: High Member
Apr 19, 2009
I agree, 5cp_gorge is horrible and when it comes to the normal map, I hate the whole 2cp thing, just two short and annoying, maybe this might help.

EDIT: when I first saw the link, it had only 1 view, by the time of posting, i'm 4th in the list!!!!
EDIT2: adding on from gameday, the centre point is to hard to cap back, I wasn't to worried about the drop in the original map anyway, though if you are going to keep it flat, you defiantly need more cover

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2010
mid is awful. the upper decks are too hard to get to from the rest of the map/ have too much cover. if you are going to make a flat plane, add some cover to block sightlines and things.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
Yay for TPG making offbeat assumptions Valve won't make changes to the map when it is in a beta version of the game for beta playtesting.

Apr 19, 2009
Yay for TPG making offbeat assumptions Valve won't make changes to the map when it is in a beta version of the game for beta playtesting.
The OP said:
As we know Valve will most likely drag its feet and take its sweet time making a new version

To rephrase: The real meaning behind this map is to test possible solutions and report back to Valve with some solid evidence that they work.

Mechlord

L1: Registered
Oct 12, 2010
I don't agree with the changes, but I would like to request that you fix the barrel props.

All yellow metal barrels on the blu side should be replaced with blue plastic barrel equivalent. This includes those grouped on pallets.

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
the flattest mid the world ever did see

Jimmy

L420: High Member
Jul 6, 2009
I'm surprised TPG cranked this out so fast. Me and him were discussing this yesterday in a server. I'm unsure if these changes are the best but heh.

Nov 14, 2009
It would be interesting to do a series of "slightly gameplay modified" maps for the Beta, so Valve can see what the problems are with various maps. IE, make it harder to cap Gravelpit A.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
TPG, please cease and desist in modifying my map.

Apr 19, 2009
I just had a VERY successful 6v6 with Languid, supersandvich and a few other people. All of whom had a great time and more or less agreed that my version was in some ways better. Thats not to say it was without a few problems:

1. Fix lighting
2. de-clutter mid a bit
3. bump up the hight of the doors/roofs around mid

Anyone got anything else to add before I get working on the next one?

Mar 23, 2010
invite me to the next lobby or something. larve doing those.

skinnynerd

L2: Junior Member
Sep 17, 2010
Maybe reduce the length of the battlements off to the side at mid?
It seems like that would help in making the point less of a "pit".

Just my 0.02