4Tokyo

CTF 4Tokyo R03

Heili

L3: Member
Jul 21, 2016
4 Teams, 4 Tokyo

Rural Tokyo, 4 teams fight in an asymmetrical CTF. Made for Team Fortress 2 Classic.

Includes bot support.

Gamebanana Mirror
My links
Thank you to these UGC authors (as of r02):
YM - Fuji skybox
Diva Dan - pine tree props
AsG_Alligator - Conifer road railing props
TF2 Japan Team - Japan content props
TF2 Construction team - Construction props
FGD5 - truck trailer props
Shmitz - intel pedestal props
Fruity Snacks (aka Fr0Z3n) / cp_snowplow team - tension net texture
fubarFX - Valve derivative rock props
fuzzymellow - urban metal textures
EArkham - Japan Pack Expansion
Talon - Winston broadcasting texture
4tokyo_r03_ylw_base-jpg.156634

4tokyo_ylw_base-jpg.149747

(unfortunate IMG bug I can't edit out)

Last edited:

Heili

Jul 21, 2016
This thread will be an open journal for my development on 4Tokyo. I want to present my thoughts concisely explaining my thought process and reasoning behind gameplay decisions for every release.

This first revision of 4Tokyo uses the 4 team format on a layout that can later be repurposed into a traditional TC arena, which was my goal from the start.

I first built upon TC_Meridian’s CTF design and layout using dynamic flags instead of static control points. I hypothesize that this simple swap in objectives gives defenders more confidence to leave base and not worry about back caps. I’ve also halved the flag return time to 30 seconds. CTF also means that defenders have a chance to intercept flag runners before they return to their base.

Now with TC Tokyo, I wanted to use the middle area in every potential round. This makes it either a primary route for A-D or a flank route for A-C. I disliked how flanking on Hydro felt impossible with not enough routes and too much emphasis on breaking past a sentry-denied area. I’ve used CTF to confine most objectives to small rooms making it a dangerous yet crucial defense point.

Asymmetry also brings up the question of which base is better? I made GRN and RED open fields similar to Gravel Pit A or Hydro Radar Dish, and BLU and YLW close quarters like Doublecross or Offblast. In TC, I would give A/B to RED and C/D to BLU to compliment this design. For 4team, all teams have the same goal, meaning even if one base is perceived as the weak link, everyone has a chance to steal the flag for their own team.

To help reduce confusion, I’ve also labeled every territory a letter, making it easier to address a territory, something I wish Hydro had done. However, I still made every objective landmark memorable: A’s bridge, B’s house, C’s decrepit building, and D’s radar tower. They also coincidentally match the new GRN and YLW’s communications and construction motives nicely.

I’m predicting that the chaos of 4team CTF will be entertaining enough even without TC designs in mind. I also predict that having all paths open will help to see where fighting is most enjoyable. Finally, TF2C’s Arena_Flask disappointed me representing GRN and YLW in half-hearted and uninspired designs. I could see the visual disparity between RED / BLU with the new teams, and I hope 4tokyo will give these new teams some unique identity.

Heili

Jul 21, 2016
Revision 2 is here!

I wanted to write my thoughts on this version. To start, the map size has been condensed, before it was way too big. In revision 1, I made the connectors between bases like mini-middles from 5cp, something mutually contested between each territory. This overcomplicated the map, and in testing was dead space and not fun. The fastest routes were always picked because the alternatives were too far away and slow to take.

I spent the past months on other projects, and I found inspiration while playing Doki Doki Blue Skies.

20210420004546_1.jpg

Sayori’s mantra resonated with me and I thought about how I can apply that to 4Tokyo. The bases were a lot of fun to fight in, and the dead space between them weren’t. So, I made the chokepoints short to get through which rewards aggressive play. I simplified chokepoints to have close range and open space engagements where possible. I have also rearranged territories similar to Hydro (from + to □ shaped).

I also thought about how at this map’s early stages, nobody will notice it until it reaches an artpass. Then when it reaches an artpass, nobody will go back to it if what’s inside the fridge has spoiled. I tried making deliberate choices this revision because I want to make 4Tokyo a great 4 team map, and a great TC map. A fridge people will come back to eat from.

My predictions this version are that GRN base will be comparatively harder to defend (not desired). I predict some confusion navigating the YLW base. I predict some sight lines will be too powerful. I predict intel rooms will be attacker sided due to the number of angles to approach Sentries from, thus rewarding aggression.

Last edited:

sniffy194

L1: Registered
Apr 15, 2021
I was really happy with the playtest tonight, no team stood out as being in a particularly strong position relative to the others. Though if any team was especially weak, it seems like Blue tended to get bullied because there isn't any great sentry spot that can't be easily pushed through, and other teams can easily get in and get out. A Green soldier can take Blue's flag and then very quickly rocketjump back to his base and into relative safety, leaving very little time for Blue to defend it.

This leads into a second issue where, once your flag is even just a moderate distance away from your base, it's almost impossible to successfully kill the carrier and then defend it until it returns. The 12-second return time helps a lot, but I'd also suggest looking into return-flag-on-touch logic (ala Wildfire) as well. It might make defense a little easier.

As-is, because each team is relatively small and usually spread out across the map, there isn't always anyone else nearby that can help sit on top of a dropped flag to defend it until it returns, but there are usually lots of other roaming players that will stumble upon it. This can lead to some seemingly really unfair situations where you have to single-handedly defend your dropped flag from more players than you can deal with. I'm wondering if return-on-touch would discourage lone-wolf pushes, encourage teamwork, and better incentivize an aggressive defense that tracks down people who have your flag.

Additionally, I'd agree with a suggestion someone made in the VC that windows should start open instead of requiring the glass to be broken. It isn't obvious that the glass is breakable, and it's sometimes hard to tell that there's glass at all. I rocketjumped into a window a few times thinking it was already broken.

Heili

Jul 21, 2016
Revision 3 is here!

This update celebrates one year of 4Tokyo development. Below I will continue my thoughts in further detail. Fundamental changes include:

1. Teams switch sides at the start of new rounds (counter-clockwise on the scoreboard / map: RED -> BLU -> GRN -> YLW)
Using our beloved fridge metaphor, I was hungry to play on different teams and experience their unique layouts. I also wondered about map balance when skilled players could skew perception of a territory’s balance. Now at the start of each round, you will play on a predictable new side of the map while retaining your team’s score. (Implementation not ideal, but it’s functional)

2. Flags captured respawn in 30 seconds.

For gameplay, 4Tokyo broke the CTF stalemate stereotype; matches were too fast to enjoy often lasting under 5 minutes. To slow the game down under default rules (playing to 3), the intelligence waits 30 seconds to respawn after being captured. This helps a defense recover flag room control and nerfs chain capping.

3. Team respawn times begin at 4 seconds, increasing by 3 for every flag capture (max of 10, the default).

To help losing teams stay competitive, winning teams have a slightly longer respawn time per capture. This is similar to KOTH with teams in control of the point having longer respawn times and the other having shorter ones. Respawn times on average are shorter however, since previous versions were a default 10 seconds. This also serves as an experiment shortening respawn times.

4. A 12 minute round timer now exists, the game enters sudden death if no team reaches capture limit.

This is not what I envisioned. I envisioned teams with the most captures at the end of the time limit to win by having the most points, if there were a tie, the game enters sudden death. Due to the complexity/risk of manually coding this, I opted for a simpler solution. Thankfully, I have yet to see games reach the time limit even when playing to 5, so this shouldn’t be an issue for now. Sudden death also means any team, regardless of score, will win with one intel capture.

You can read the rest of the smaller changes in the patch notes. The rest of this post will be me writing about the map’s reception and future. The good people from TF2C provided me with both playtesting and a spot on their official custom maps server. This helps immensely where bots can only do so much, and I’m grateful. It shows we may take for granted TF2Maps providing a community and playtesting servers.

That said, official servers are treated as a place to play, not a testbed. Players were less receptive to a map in temporary textures rather than one artpassed. They did not seem so interested in its process, a map to be shaped just for them. I can understand that, mapping has always been a thankless task. Not to mention, I must be one in a dozen of other WIP maps to them.

The feedback has been wonderful however, and I’ve made all the changes today from these players. I chose to lightly artpass areas I am more confident in rather than haphazardly detailing everything and lock myself into a form. For example, I artpassed a GRN base style guide, but did not use it because I am still experimenting with its layout.

Going forward, I see 4 team as an alternative mode for a semi-casual audience. I believe 4Tokyo’s main strength comes in its scarcity: there are few 4 team maps to choose from, less that aren’t derivative. Even fewer asymmetrical ones, which I personally enjoy. Furthermore, I can’t name any video game outside the Team Fortress series with 4 teams, and even they felt like an afterthought.

In conclusion for today’s update, I’ve read about certain Rainbow Six Siege maps being reworked precisely because their strategies have turned stale or figured out, like a puzzle. Leaving a sense of mystery to the map per update may not be a bad thing, and let players learn the map themselves.

Last edited:

Miki

Feb 10, 2022
Hey folks,

I've updated ctf_4tokyo to Revision 4. Unfortunately since the new website migration, I got locked out of my account so I was unable to update the TF2maps download or any of my other maps. Now I got stuck with this dummy account. Instead, you can download the latest version on Gamebanana here: https://gamebanana.com/mods/56189

Changelog:
  • Artpass iteration; all dev textures are gone now
  • Various balance changes I forgot to write down
  • Reworked CD connector
  • Intel begins locked for 15 seconds at round start
  • Replaced respawn system with a static 8 second time
62332bedbab8c.jpg

Gravidea

L5: Dapper Member
Apr 17, 2017
Neat looking map! Do you have a source on those neat looking checkered textures you use around it? Or is it something you made yourself?

Last edited:

Miki

Feb 10, 2022