3D Skybox

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by koenlite, Dec 27, 2011.

1. koenlite

koenlite L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hello,

I just recently made this map, but the skybox is not working at all. I made a complete field around the map, placed the sky_camera and it is still not working at all. Can anyone please take a quick look and tell me where I messed up?

Thanks!

koenlite

URL

2. Tarry H Sruman

Tarry H Sruman Large Orphanage Proprietor

Positive Ratings:
    I'll take a look, but please, use Dropbox or something to host files next time, people don't like to deal with the ads and possible wait times on these kinds of sites.

3. Tarry H Sruman

Positive Ratings:
    I compiled it and the skybox worked fine. However, I had to compile on fast vis because normal compiled for about 15 minutes and then crashed. Not sure why this happened, but you should probably look into it.

But in all honesty, the skybox should be the least of your worries. This map has much, much bigger problems and a lot of them.

4. Bloodhound

Bloodhound L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, maps with 3d skyboxes always need FAST VVis compile (at least, better is FULL, of course).
    And also, you should really replace those hl2 textures.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  5. honeymustard

honeymustard L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    What? No

6. RaVaGe

aa RaVaGe

Positive Ratings:
    ;'D

7. Bloodhound

Bloodhound L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:

Sorry guys, of course I mean:
    You have to compile with VVIS, the FAST option is at least required for a 3D skybox, but of course it´s always better to compile VVIS on the FULL option.

Hope everything is correct now.

8. koenlite

koenlite L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hey,

Thanks for all the great help! I just have one more question to make everything perfect: I need a texture that is invisible, and makes everything behind it invisible as well. So when you put a normal block behind it, it appears as if it is not there, but it is.

Does anyone know a texture like this?

Thanks,

koenlite

9. Tarry H Sruman

Positive Ratings:
    The toolsskybox texture?

Not really sure why you need this or exactly what you're asking for.

10. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    That only works if the stuff it's designed to block is in a visleaf that has no direct line of sight to the one you're in. (For some reason.) But that's sometimes enough; observe the bigger-on-the-inside bases in Well for example.