3D skybox problems

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Moose, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Moose

Moose L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hi! I've been lurking around the forums here for a while, and although I would've liked my first post to be a map-WIP, I'm having some difficulty fixing this problem with my skybox. So, I'm here asking for help.

Basically, on one side of the map beyond the trees I placed in my skybox, you can see a mirror image of the map itself. Here's a picture:
    [​IMG]

I've been working hard trying to find a solution, but haven't come up with anything. I have no leaks in the map, and the only error in the compile log is "can't load skybox file skybox/sky_trainyard_01 to build the default cubemap!" which as far as I know isn't at all related to this. I also have checked to make sure I don't have any additional sky_camera entities besides the one in the skybox itself. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  2. strangemodule

strangemodule L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Try compiling on full VVIS and VRAD. That usually solves it IIRC.

3. Moose

Positive Ratings:
    As far as I can tell I have been running on full VVIS/VRAD.

4. rawrl337

rawrl337 L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    if VVIS is checked make sure u have only 1 skybox_camera and no leaks

5. Moose

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks, but I used a compile checker, I can say with certainty that I have no leaks, and looking for sky_camera entities reveals only the one in the skybox. So I'm 99.99% certain that none of those usual causes are the problem in this case.

EDIT: Actually, I'm starting to think it might be an issue with the way I'm compiling after all. I'm still recompiling right now, I'll see how everything goes in a little while.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  6. rawrl337

rawrl337 L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    im pretty sure like 85% sure as long as u compile with vis - either normal or fast it wont show the map double. hope u get it working :D

7. FaTony

FaTony Banned

Positive Ratings:
    Full vvis, no leaks, check compile log by yourself.

8. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    You can't have parts of the 3D skybox IN FRONT of world geometry otherwise you will get odd rendering of objects.

9. Tehrasha

Tehrasha L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Drat. I guess that explains the problem I've been having then.

So much for building indoor areas that are effectively inside skybox constructs.

Back to the drawing board....