3D skybox problem.

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

wolfiejo

L1: Registered
Dec 21, 2009
I've built a 3D skybox for my map, I did everything that is said on the valve dev site. First I put the skybox over to the side of the map, compiled/loaded up the map, skybox looks fine, in the right spot and everything. However, while in-game, if a player looked to one side, another copy of my map is rendered in the skybox... If a player looks to the other side, you can see the skybox itself through the "skybox-wall"??? So then I put the skybox underneath the area of my map. you can't see the skybox itself anymore, but a bloody copy of my entire map is rendered high in the sky..... What is going on here? Do I need to enclose the skybox in closed areaportals or something?

Mr.Late

L7: Fancy Member
Nov 27, 2009
Did you remember to delete reference geometry from 3D skybox?

treythepunkid

L4: Comfortable Member
Sep 8, 2008
Can we get a compile log? Might help us pin point the problem.

EDIT: Well with a little searching on Google I found similar cases to yours.

Unfortunately I could not find a sure case cause for this. People are suggesting that you make sure that the 3D skybox is far away from the normal skybox and check you have all the right entities and they are in the right place.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful

Last edited:

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
If both your map and skybox are sealed, VIS prevents one from seeing the other. if you can see a copy, you either have a leak, ran with no/fast vis or have two sky cameras.

wolfiejo

L1: Registered
Dec 21, 2009
Whoa! I did have two sky_camera entities... I have no clue how the other one got where it was though. (off-center inbetween red and blu, not 0 0 0.) Thank's for your help!

treythepunkid

L4: Comfortable Member
Sep 8, 2008
Whoa! I did have two sky_camera entities... I have no clue how the other one got where it was though. (off-center inbetween red and blu, not 0 0 0.) Thank's for your help!

And so the case of the duplicating skybox map was solved. :O

Good to hear you figured it out.