3d sky box question

wbuilder

L1: Registered
Sep 7, 2014
Hi guys, im am trying to create the bounderies for my map and i am looking for somthing a bit mor colorful than a fence and some rock. How do they do the bacground on maps like tuefort, my guess would be a 3d sky box but i have my doubts, if so is it possible to have more than one 3d sky box? -much thanks, wbuilder

iiboharz

eternally tired
aa
Nov 5, 2014
2fort's boundary doesn't start for quite a while past the boundaries of the map, it's always best to have this sort of "buffer zone" as it gives you some room to make the map > 3D skybox transition a bit more believable.

Everything beyond the map though (the farm fields and clouds in the distance) are handled by the 3D skybox in 2fort.

No you cannot have more than one 3D skybox.

EDIT: Here's a screenshot of 2fort's "buffer zone", the pink arrows highlight the seam between the actual map and the 3D skybox.
oJVamvk.png

As you can see the geometry and detail in the 3D skybox is rather simple compared to the actual map. It's a good idea to have little visual noise in the skybox to help keep players' attention on the action.

Last edited:

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
Constructing a 3D skybox is easier once you have your map's architecture and ground work finalised. You use those as the foundation of your skybox, as a sort of reference.

I found the following guide useful for making 3D skyboxes: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/3D_Skybox