2Fort RED Tower lighting glitch.

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by LinkyDooD, May 19, 2017.

1. LinkyDooD

LinkyDooD L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hi. I'm currently in the process of making a custom version of 2Fort, and i have this lighting glitch with the tower just above the RED sniper spot. [​IMG]
    I've tried everything using my knowledge of mapping and i can't seem to find a fix.

I've attached some screenshots of the properties in Hammer, one of the prop, and one of the light from inside the tower if it helps.

Thanks in advance for the help. :)

Attached Files:

2. AsG_Alligator

aa AsG_Alligator trigger_hiss

Positive Ratings:
    Iirc the tower is a model. Youll need to use -staticproppolys and -staticproplighting to have proper lighting on it.

Why yet another 2fort remake though. Can't you people remake actually good official maps?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Muddy

Server Staff Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    Or even better - make new original maps!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. iiboharz

aa iiboharz meme queen

Positive Ratings:
    I honestly have no idea why they needed to make that a prop, it looks and compiles fine as brushwork.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Diva Dan

aa Diva Dan not a furry

Positive Ratings:
    Not gonna lie, I played on an arena_2fort server non stop. Just because it's 2fort doesn't mean you can't modify it into something fun. When you add a control point to the center, remove the water, add stairs from the surface to the pit and remove any routes to the intel room, it completely changes how the map is played and creates something very fun to play (and even watch, if you can believe that.) It might be the only arena map I've played where you see uber pushes with heavies!

In my opinion, it's good to see what modifications can be made to a map to see what works and what doesn't. For example, koth_viaduct_pro. Eventually you'll be able to piece together your knowledge to create a layout of your own, which is significantly harder than changing an existing one. I played a lot of Halo: Reach and Halo 4 forge, starting with changing cover on existing maps and playing with friends to see what sniper spots were too good or how too many corner made the needler too useful. Then I could build my own level out of the prefabricated parts given to create an infection map that people downloaded and played on.

You have to start somewhere, in my opinion. Just have some knowledge of how optimization works before taking on official maps!

6. Muddy

Server Staff Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    Because, if you look closely, the tower is bent slightly. Fun little detail there.

I suppose you could achieve the same effect with displacements, but y'know.... valve.

7. iiboharz

aa iiboharz meme queen

Positive Ratings:
    No that is... completely possible with standard brush geometry! I've done it.

8. Tumbolisu

aa Tumbolisu  I ⌄ I 

Positive Ratings:
    I would more guess so that it's always visible in it's entirety and doesn't partially get culled by areaportals.

9. Pocket

aa Pocket When all you have is Hammer...

Positive Ratings:
    There are a number of things in 2fort that would work just fine as brushwork—the studs in RED's hayloft, for example, and the wooden door frames. I suspect the map was developed when Source had a lower limit on brush count or something and they started converting things into props to try to cut down.