2Base

Jun 19, 2009
Outsource

THIS MAP IS NOW CALLED ctf_Outsource.

This is the 2nd map I have made so far. It has taken 75+ hours to make.

It is a relatively small map that is modeled after themes from ctf_turbine and 2fort, and unlike many capture the flag maps, the intelligence must be soundly defended. Located on top of a tower like structure, the intelligence needs to be guarded constantly or quick scout nabs will send the intelligence flying through the ventilation systems or right through the main fighting area.

Promising to be a action-packed map with constant fighting, RED and BLU are fighting to keep control of their intelligence after deciding (intelligently) to build their bases opposing each other in the middle of a factory.

Youtube Video:
Being Updated

Thanks guys!
This community rocks.

EDIT: NEW VERSION 8: Hopefully this will make people happier with the map. Pictures and Video will be updated soon.

Last edited:

Okrag

Wall Staples
aa
Jun 10, 2009
Here is my advice:
1. Rename the map. 2base doesn't feel very original and it doesn't fit the map(not really bases). Judging by the number of containers I would name it ctf_overstock.
2. Change the texture on Blu's intel tower. It looks too red.
3. Make the airvents less lengthy and maybe put signs in them to prevent people from getting lost.
EDIT: Also noticed the red trim in the blu team's intel area.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2009
Here is my advice:
1. Rename the map. 2base doesn't feel very original and it doesn't fit the map(not really bases). Judging by the number of containers I would name it ctf_overstock.
2. Change the texture on Blu's intel tower. It looks too red.
3. Make the airvents less lengthy and maybe put signs in them to prevent people from getting lost.

1. Good idea, but I think I should name it like ctf_facility or something. But I really like 2Base because it is a satire on 2Fort.

2. I didn't change the texture, I'm dumb. Thanks for that.

3. The air vents are less lengthy than you might think.

Thanks for your feedback ;)

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
The central area screams turbine (especially with the vents, although you have mixed it up some). It would probably be more sensible to try an original theme. But the tower for a base concept is interesting, despite how overpowered sentries might be (in knocking players off the tower).

I like Okrag's name suggestion, facility is way generic. Pretty much every other man and his dog names a map "facility", "factory", "complex" or something ambiguous like that. You'll want your map to be unique and rememberable in every aspect, including the name.

So far your map looks very "death matchy" in that all your construction, buildings etc seem completely random/pointless within the environment, such as the random towers and the catwalk over the middle of nomans land. When theming your map try to put it in a basis for reality giving everything in your map a purpose to exist; this increases immersion.

Jun 19, 2009
The central area screams turbine (especially with the vents, although you have mixed it up some). It would probably be more sensible to try an original theme. But the tower for a base concept is interesting, despite how overpowered sentries might be (in knocking players off the tower).

I like Okrag's name suggestion, facility is way generic. Pretty much every other man and his dog names a map "facility", "factory", "complex" or something ambiguous like that. You'll want your map to be unique and rememberable in every aspect, including the name.

So far your map looks very "death matchy" in that all your construction, buildings etc seem completely random/pointless within the environment, such as the random towers and the catwalk over the middle of nomans land. When theming your map try to put it in a basis for reality giving everything in your map a purpose to exist; this increases immersion.

Well, to start off, I did say I modeled it after turbine. Secondly, I am going to keep it named 2Base. Lastly, to make up for the over powered sentries near the towers, I purposely made the steps come from the entrance to make easy access for quick nabbing scouts. Any crack down of defense and the intelligence is extremely vulnerable.

For some reason, I don't know if you mean to, you have negatively criticized my maps/questions. It's my second map for goodness sake. Also, I don't put random crap in my map. It is all for a purpose. If I left the ceiling blank, then there would be only a first floor and it wouldn't be fun in anyway.

I guess overstock is a nifty name... I might consider changing the name to that.

Last edited:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
My use of "completely random/pointless" was probably an emphasis that wasn't necassery, but it was the main point of my feedback, at the risk of being rude. What i was trying to say is that your structures have no meaning other than for the fact of producing more interesting gameplay mechanics.

That catwalk for instance could be much more believable if you utilised the central CP model from cp_well and constructed it to appear as a loading crane or something. Rather than a generic catwalk with a random glass box in the centre that serves no purpose in the environment; other than for what i previously mentioned, sprucing up gameplay elements.

You don't want players thinking "Well, this was placed here for my convinience.." because it reminds them they're playing a 'shoot em up' and breaks immersion.

My feedback probably sounds negative because it's critical. To improve our work effectively (to reach its most potential) we need to be critical. If you don't want further feedback from me then i will leave your thread alone and help others. [ego]I get enough requests these days to review map threads..[/ego]

In the words of DJive, i anylised your map because i like it. Not because i hate it. I think it has potential. But it needs (in order to reach a greater potential):

A) An original theme.

B) Relavent detail/structures that match said theme.

This is TF2maps.net where your work will be anylised, played, and anylised some more. We all map for fun, otherwise we wouldn't be here. If this is your second map then i can see that you may have read this out of context (especially since i'm a perfectionist). I would not have believed that this was your second map. But this is particularly a feedback site where we all try to help each other and improve, and sometimes that means some bruised ego's. The same applies to myself.

Last edited:

Jamini

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 14, 2008
I'm noticing a distinct lack of detail on the walls and inside the main warehouse. Bland grey walls only get you so far, and even the most concrete of concrete buildings have little supports and pillars near the walls.

some real-life examples of what I mean:
warehouse.jpg

warehouse.jpg

Look at the supports visible! While I don't suggest doing something QUITE so complicated, some support structures and varying wall widths would add a lot of nice shadowing and detail that your map seems to lack currently.

Also, I wouldn't mind seeing a bit less light in the central area. It may as well be fullbright they way you have it. :(

Jun 19, 2009
Look at the supports visible! While I don't suggest doing something QUITE so complicated, some support structures and varying wall widths would add a lot of nice shadowing and detail that your map seems to lack currently.

Thank you, but that is a warehouse, not a factory :p
Anyway... I headed your advice, and now I updated the map.