CP OutPostShipping [Deleted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

killohurtz

Distinction in Applied Carving
aa
Feb 22, 2014
Moving here, as requested.

But for a mapper. It's your job to create a map that everybody will like to play. So I have to make different maps with different gamemodes.
Not necessarily. You should make a map that's fun for fans of the gamemode, but it's not your job to appeal to those that hate it. Just look around - the vast majority of maps are designed for one mode, and one mode only. People have different tastes in gamemodes and that's okay.

And it's not hard to change one map gamemode to another. You just have to change a few things and swap the logic for the different gamemode.
Sorry, but this is just flat out incorrect. Some are more similar, like 5CP mid points and KotH, but for the most part, different modes have very different design principles. Even though they're both attack/defense, payload is different from A/D CP because the layout needs to accommodate a track and the pacing is controlled by the speed of the cart. It's not as simple as "changing a few things and swapping the logic."

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
Moving here, as requested.

Not necessarily. You should make a map that's fun for fans of the gamemode, but it's not your job to appeal to those that hate it. Just look around - the vast majority of maps are designed for one mode, and one mode only. People have different tastes in gamemodes and that's okay.

Sorry, but this is just flat out incorrect. Some are more similar, like 5CP mid points and KotH, but for the most part, different modes have very different design principles. Even though they're both attack/defense, payload is different from A/D CP because the layout needs to accommodate a track and the pacing is controlled by the speed of the cart. It's not as simple as "changing a few things and swapping the logic."
I have swapped the game modes multiple times before and they work out fine. Most of the past maps were just change gamemodes. For example there was a map that i made that was a D-Day landing map. The first gamemode was a 3 cp map and then i changed it to a pl map. The only thing that i change was i added a new underground rout for the payload and added a new door so people wont be able to spam coming out of the tunnel. It still played like a good map. even if it was a 3 cp map. The major downsides to that map was the sniper sight lines and the long walking distance.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
- Increase the skybox to be higher for jumping classes
- Fixed red R.S.C not working for the right team
- Fixed demos and soldiers being able to spam into enemy spawn rooms.
- Added new small health kit by the second control point roof

Read the rest of this update entry...

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
You should be mapping for yourself, not others. That is how you create a unique, memorable map. You can never please everyone.

If you truly want to create the same map for 5 gamemodes, do it,, but do it because you want to and think it's a good idea, not because of other people.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
You should be mapping for yourself, not others. That is how you create a unique, memorable map. You can never please everyone.

If you truly want to create the same map for 5 gamemodes, do it,, but do it because you want to and think it's a good idea, not because of other people.
Well I am trying but people are saying not to block the sniper. I think he is overpowered so I just limit the sniper sight lines.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
Then it is your decision to ignore the feedback and make the map you want to. The mark of a good mapper is interpreting the feedback they think is good, and useful, and implementing that to achieve their vision.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
- Fixed engineers being able to get to ledges that spies can not get to as well
- Added small ammo box next to the small health kit
- Added two new hallways just for snipers
- Updated the mid point wall being shorter

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
- Added a new Control Point right above the second Control Point
- Added a small peace of texture to the ramp to fix having a hole.
- Fixed players being able to open the other teams spawn doors.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
- Added a new ledge between the two sniper hallways
- Added new geometry by the second control point
- Added new health and ammo box on top of the new geometry
- Added two new hallways to get around the sentry heavy spot
- Added a roof to the spawns
- Added new lights
- Added new signs
- Updated signs
- Updated the second control point wall to be open to have a new path
- Updated the second control point wall to be longer to cut down on the sniper sight lines
- Updated middle control point to have 4 pillars and a roof
- Removed the on top control point on the second control point

MoonFox

L10: Glamorous Member
Mar 17, 2015
would it be possible for the screenshots to have a overhead layout?

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
- Updated the spawn to have two of the four spawn doors be on the two hallways
- Updated the capture times to be shorter
- Updated the highest platform to be thicker
- Added new lights

Status