24/6/10 SDK Update - Broken Hammer

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
So at around 3:30 this afternoon, my SDK updated itself.
Now, it refuses to launch hammer.

I have:

-Restarted Steam
-Opened and quit TF2
-Defragmented the program
-Restet Game Settings
-Restarted computer
-Reinstalled SDK
-Reinstalled Steam

All to no avail. Hammer will not launch.

Last edited:

Pooluke41

L5: Dapper Member
Feb 24, 2010
Try going into task manager. Clicking procceses and turning source sdk or hammers proccess off even steam one.

Penguin

aa
May 21, 2009
I've done both of those.

Penguin

aa
May 21, 2009
Won't I lose... Everything?

Dark

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 27, 2009
not if you back up your vmfs, even then i am not sure the sdk content folder gets deleted when uninstalling sdk

zpqrei

Theme Changer Extraordinaire
aa
Oct 19, 2008
The trick is to be cool like me and have your VMF folder to be set in your dropbox.

EVcYg.gif

Penguin

aa
May 21, 2009
My VMF folder exceeds the free 2 gigs.

Penguin

aa
May 21, 2009
So I reinstalled SDK.

Guess what? I still can't launch hammer.

Penguin

aa
May 21, 2009
I've uinstalled thrice, made hammer redownload the cache and restarted my computer twice, all to no avail.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Penguin! We have the results! You can open hammer, but every time you close out you are struck with a case of explosive amnesia!

Penguin

aa
May 21, 2009
The latest: I reinstalled Steam as a whole, but no luck.

Time to contact valve.

Numerous

L4: Comfortable Member
Oct 14, 2009
Penguin! We have the results! You can open hammer, but every time you close out you are struck with a case of explosive amnesia!

Wouldn't there be save files as a result, especially under "most recent"? And also, wouldn't he notice he has been stuck in a void for X hours mapping, without a clue where he was during that time?

Anyways, here are my tips for getting hammer to work:
  • Reinstall windows.
  • Delete any possible traces of vista from your computer, then copy the content onto another storage device and vaporise your hard drive.
  • Uninstall your OS and get a mac. Then proceed to grind the mac to powder with a crowbar, and go install linux.
  • Go get a taser, find a PS3/xbox 360 fanboy, zap them, and bring them back, put them on your computer's keyboard and sacrifice them to valve by stabbing it through the heart with a ceremonial dagger. Hammer should now launch correctly.
That's all I can think of.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009

Nerdboy! I've discovered the shocking secret Penguin has kept from you for 200 years!

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Wouldn't there be save files as a result, especially under "most recent"? And also, wouldn't he notice he has been stuck in a void for X hours mapping, without a clue where he was during that time?

Anyways, here are my tips for getting hammer to work:
  • Reinstall windows.
  • Delete any possible traces of vista from your computer, then copy the content onto another storage device and vaporise your hard drive.
  • Uninstall your OS and get a mac. Then proceed to grind the mac to powder with a crowbar, and go install linux.
  • Go get a taser, find a PS3/xbox 360 fanboy, zap them, and bring them back, put them on your computer's keyboard and sacrifice them to valve by stabbing it through the heart with a ceremonial dagger. Hammer should now launch correctly.
That's all I can think of.

I like how misinformed this post is.

Penguin

aa
May 21, 2009
Nice try Numerous but I run Windows 7.

Alright, I'm screwed. STEAM will no longer let me sign in to friends, nor will it let me launch ANY games.

Who do I have to yell at to get this to work?

Last edited:

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
Nice try Numerous but I run Windows 7.

Alright, I'm screwed. STEAM will no longer let me sign in to friends, nor will it let me launch ANY games.

Who do I have to yell at to get this to work?

TPG. He's our scapegoat.