2020 Server Mod Applications Now Open!

Status
Not open for further replies.

14bit

L14: Bit Member
aa
Oct 5, 2014
Hey all! With some recent departures and promotions, we're looking to get some more people involved with moderating and leading the community. So, we're opening applications! We will consider everyone for every role, but we are mostly looking to add people to the Silver Star role and promote upwards from there as we see fit.

We're looking for people who can do the following:
  • Announce and/or run map tests
  • Moderate discussions on Discord, on the forums, and in map tests
  • Be a helpful, positive figure in the community (both TF2Maps.net and the wider TF2 community)
  • Participate in user moderation / discipline discussions
  • Help with planning & running community events (run contest playtests, help sort entries, write announcement posts, create banner graphics for events)
  • Miscellaneous errands as they come up
  • Knowledge of TF2 servers (or a willingness to learn)
If you're not sure what a Silver Star is, it's a role that acts as "staff in training." They have the ability to announce tests, some light moderation ability on Discord, game servers, and forums, and access to our moderation log. Silver Stars are not part of larger community discussions like contest planning or issuing permanent bans. Still, we are looking for candidates who want to get involved at that higher level.

If you're interested in getting involved, write a post below! You can take a look at the previous thread to get an idea of previous application posts. If you've applied in the past, feel free to apply again. (If you're already a Silver Star or above and feel like you were passed over for a promotion, feel free to apply here, or just talk to us in Discord.)

NoT2BaD

Mom, I accidentally carved a hollow sphere again!
Jul 18, 2015
I'd love to be a part of server mods or staff, or even silver stars for that matter, and even expressed my desire to do so earlier this year when 72hr ended (offered to help sort through entries).
I've been a part of the community for a loooooong time (relatively; some people have been here much longer than me) but I believe I started back in 2013 or perhaps even earlier, back when steam chat was the cool (and only) place to hang out. I'm active more often on discord (check it several times a day every day) than the site, but can make it a point to be more active here if accepted. I do have a 5 day a week job, and am currently looking into going back to school for a second degree but I'd love to be a part of helping this community grow and gain new talented mappers. I'm also a pug runner for Testco (competitive testing server) so I've got a handle on source mod commands, and have ran a number of imps since becoming vip.

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
I would like to be a silver star!

I've been a part of the TF2 community since early 2014, and I joined this site that April. Since then, I've posted at least thirty maps, participated in five 72hr Jams, collaborated thrice (one almost became a finalist in the MvM contest), beta tested for two fan-made projects (TF2Classic and Team Deathmatch Classic), and attempted (but failed) to make a Territory Control map. I've taken a handful of breaks from TF2 and level design in that time, but I always return because I love this game, and the people in it's community doubly so. Although I wasn't too active on the Discord (or even the steam chat, when we still used that) for the longest time, I've been trying to turn that around over the past year or so, checking daily and participating whenever I can.

I will admit, I am pretty quick to anger, but I'm aware of that and consciously trying to fix on that. I'm also autistic, which is a whole bucket of problems by itself, but I manage. On the rare occasion, I even consider it a boon.

I'm not currently in schooling or working, so I have the free time if I'm accepted.

Also, if you accept me I'll be one step closer to forming a trifecta with Crash and 14bit, as I already follow as much of the criteria inadvertently listed by 14bit in the Back To Basics contest announcement video (0:53 seconds in) as I possibly can. Uncle Dane won't answer my calls and I'm banned from every grocery store in the lower peninsula, so I unfortunately cannot fill them all.

Cincomma

bonk sploosh
aa
Aug 2, 2017
Applications for Silver Stars? Put me in, coach!

As of "recent" I've been a part of TF2Maps in one way or another for about 3 years. I've made 15 or so maps in my time here not that I ever finished any and have plans for collaborative mapping in the works. I have a pretty packed schedule weekly but I have free time every few hours, there's plenty of time I can help hold down the fort. As well as maps I've made models, overlay textures, (attempted to make) warpaints, hats and cosmetics, made 3 72hr maps and 3 contest maps, I also draw a lot if any drawing is needed. If I'm not busy when an imp is announced chances are I'll drop in and give feedback, although I have no experience with server management or imp hosting. I'm a very on/off mapper, going weeks or months without touching hammer, but I keep the concepts and quirks of hammer fresh in my mind to assist anyone who is struggling with the editor. Even now when I barely map in general, I stick around thanks to the cool folks in the community and the air that surrounds more chill gaming related communities like TF2Maps. I'm not exactly good at social interaction or talking with people when it comes to online communication, but as the months go on I'm getting better and more confident, if I have enough free time I might even pop into vc channels and chat a bit. Thanks for the opportunity, cheers!

btw, it's me! Heron!!

Mâché

Big Ferret
aa
Sep 7, 2015
Ayo the pizza here

I'd be up for being a silver star. Though I haven't been in the community as long as others have (joined TF2maps late 2015), I'd say I'm usually pretty active (mainly in VC as of recent), and I generally have a lot of free time, even when I have a more intense courseload. I too am a pug runner for TESTCO, and I'm willing to learn more complicated server-related skills as needed. Despite all of the turmoil TF2 as a whole has been through these past few years, I still absolutely love the game, even if I don't get to play it as often as I used to. I am somehow the 5th most active author on the site (entirely through maps), participated in a few contests, including getting 2nd in B2B, and somehow got a map in the featured maps list. I like to believe that I am adequate at handling discourse, and that I can easily toggle between being chill and joking and being serious and professional at appropriate times. I think I tend to get along with other members in general, and I generally try to keep a mostly positive attitude or try to make people feel better if they're down. I also like writing and proofreading, so if ya'll need someone to help with writing announcements or other kinds of posts (or video scripts, maybe?), I would absolutely love to be of assistance in that regard.

(and I have one of the other..."important qualities" of a tf2maps staff member, three guesses at to what that is based on my discord pfp lmao)

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
hi i do/would do these things and i promise i might shitpost less

(but on a serious note, I have experience moderating two discords and have been on this site 5 years)

Last edited:

Narpas

Takes way to long to make and update maps
aa
Jun 11, 2015
Hi! I'd definitely be up for acting as a moderator/silver star. I've been a part of TF2M for a bit over five years at this point, and have a couple of maps under my belt. I'm fairly active on the Discord and am trying to be more active for map tests. Last year I started hosting Casual gamedays, and I hope to continue doing so soon. While I've never gotten a good enough map to participate in any contests, I've made a map for every 72 Hour Jam for the past three and a half years! I'm usually on my phone or near my computer, so I should be able to announce for imps fairly regularly. I'm always willing to help out, and try my best to give people assistance wherever I can on both the site, and on the Discord. I don't know how much of a need there is for someone for technical stuff at this point, but I'm pretty good at programming and understand how servers work decently well. I also have a couple of ideas for plugins for the server, and I would love to work on the TF2M bot if DrP would allow it. Thank you for taking the time to read through this, I hope I make a good candidate for the team!

iiboharz

eternally tired
aa
Nov 5, 2014
y'all know who i am! you should bump me up to silver star or server mod so i can help out around the place a little bit again where needed.

r0nii

Banned
Mar 16, 2019
I would like to run playtests and im also very helpful! Im trying to help players in need. I helped already few times.
Only thing what makes me unsure that i feel like not everyone likes me (maybe that just my mind idk)

I also got banned by a racist name on item. Being honest i didn't name it and it was my mistake to not remove the name. Lets us forget that this is the past.
I would like to have a try but im not really sure if i will do well or if i will get even a chance.

(im moderator of polish gmod server and co-leader of small competitive team.)

Last edited:

Zeus

Not a Krusty Krab
aa
Oct 15, 2014
I'm happy to do moderation as needed. I run Hathouse Pugs, which is the largest comp pug group for NA so I'm def used to dealing with uhh personalities.

I would also be more than happy to assist in technical means for the game servers or the website as well. I've been a professional software dev for about 9 years and I've been automating and running my own competitive tf2 servers for a long time as well as wrote plugins to help smooth out the operating experience.

Also I'm pretty cool so...

/endofresumé

nesman

master of fast travel
aa
Jun 27, 2016
*shoots basketball from 3 point line*

I have been in this community for over 4 years. Now that the semester is basically over I will have a lot more free time while being on a Co-Op and figured, hey why not apply and see what happens.

Back in the golden days of minecraft I used to be one of the operators of a community called IslandCraft, we had well over 1000 active users between our multiple servers at times, this then turned into another community called MineDot when the original owners lost interest and got busy with life, I was invited to be an operator again and left after a few years to focus with school. Because of this I have had my fare share of moderating a large forum while moderating several servers. I did a lot of behind the scene stuff with the servers as well such as configuration and website work. I also did a lot of planning and layout our prison servers with all the cell block structures, procedures, rules, and gameplay planning.

I am also studying Computer Networking so I have an understanding of Linux servers as well as some website development.... pretty much anything back end. My technical skills may be basic in some areas but I will learn anything you throw at me!

I've hosted many imps, partaken in contests, and just exist in the discord.

Moderating can be a challenging task at times, I will always consult with others when possible when unsure how to handle a situation.

"Will he make the 3 point shot?"
*to be continued*

Startacker!

WANT ME TO BE REAL? MAKE ME.
aa
Jun 15, 2013
Thank you to everyone that applied! We're closing this thread down now as we're in the late stages of our decisions and will be contacting selected applicants soon. See you later!

14bit

L14: Bit Member
aa
Oct 5, 2014
Invites have gone out, check your DMs on Discord! We'll be announcing the new team members once we've heard back from everyone who has received an invite.

If you applied here but didn't receive an invite from me on Discord, sorry but you didn't make the cut this time. Some of you were close! You're free to apply next time we open.

Status
Not open for further replies.