2 questions: skybox and any team flags

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

L10: Glamorous Member
Apr 12, 2008
Okay, two questions.

First, say I have a really tall object in one room of my map, say a rocket or something (that model is huge, btw). However, I don't want it to be visible in other areas of my map, areas with low walls, etc. I know this can be done, I believe its done with hints, but nothing I've tried in a map to test this seems to work. For an example, check out the area between the first and 2nd round of dustbowl, where you can't see a bunch of tall buildings in the 2nd from the first.

Second, I'm trying to figure out a good way of accomplishing a flag tracking system, using the HUD, for flags set to the "any team can pickup." I am aware of the tutorial on this site, but I'm not sure if that would work for this reason: I have 4 flags with that setting, though only 1 is enabled at a time. Any thoughts? I plan on messing around with that tutorial's idea, and then just disabling the extra stuff as well as the flag, but a lot of this stuff isn't exactly something I can test without having someone else there.

Heh, sorry of either of those are biggies. Thanks ;)

Paria

L5: Dapper Member
Dec 12, 2007
how is your skybox set up around the map - im presuming the rocket is outdoors?

have a look at this http://www.student.ru.nl/rvanhoorn/optimization.php?chapter=notices

with some clever placement of the skybox its possible to only show exactly what you want people to see from certain areas, as far as hints go if the player can visibly see the rocket hints wont help at all - hints would help to stop it being rendered if at some places in the map it wasnt in view -(with your skybox set up right this could be acheived )-or simply blocked by world geometry,

its a little hard to offer advice without knowing the map in question though :D

Last edited:

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

L10: Glamorous Member
Apr 12, 2008
I guess the issue is just more of seeing things through the skybox, such as something tall (a rocket indoors but with the top sticking out an launch area) or the tall walls of one area from a shorted walled area.

Here are some SS's of Dustbowl.

This is how the map looks when you open it in hammer. Some hints/clips, and sky brushes block the view.
dustbowl2.jpg

Now I delete those, as well as one model to make it clearer, and you see that there are things behind the sky brush that are perfectly within line of sight from where I am.

dustbowl1.jpg

Now, heres how it looks in game. Notice you can't see the stuff which occurs behind the skybox. Try it yourself, go into dustbowl and go to the first cap point of the 2nd round (I messed up in my first post) and fly just over that ridge. You'll see what I'm talking about.
cp_dustbowl0000.jpg