12 or 16 info_player_teamspawns?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Robot3x, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Robot3x

Robot3x L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Almost all tutorials suggest placing 16 entities for each team, but from what I understand is that TF 2 does support 32 players very well?

Is 16 chosen so that servers can decide how many players they want playing?

2. Terwonick

Terwonick L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    yes, 16 is the recommended amount because that is the maximum number of players a server can spawn without mods.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. ScorpioUprising

aa ScorpioUprising

Positive Ratings:
    To be honest, its not going to matter too much. The only real issue with 12 spawn maps, is that when a round first starts, you'll have some players inside of other players. Most of the time, thats not the sort of thing the majority of players are even going to notice or care about. I would go with 16 myself, because it just looks nicer, but its not really a huge deal, unlike counterstrike where a map with 12 spawns could end up having players spawn inside of each other in a 32 player server.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  4. Terwonick

Terwonick L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    it truly is more of a "tradition" thing for TF2

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    TF2 was designed for 12 vs 12 (24 max). 32, however, is the max with mods (33 if you include stv/reserved slots). For this reason it is recommended your map support 16 vs 16, which is very little additional effort on your part.

Up to you.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Robot3x

Robot3x L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I stuck them in. I was just curious about the discrepancy. Also, most of the tuts I read are a little old so I didn't know if there might be something I was missing.