11th Feb TF2 Beta Update - Actual balancing issues addressed!

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2 Talk' started by The Political Gamer, Feb 11, 2011.

1. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1629850

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Zhan

Zhan L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    That new flaregun sounds very cool!

3. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    Flaregun sounds cool, but... I feel like your going to get a lot of sniper-pyro's

4. Moose

Moose L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    new flare gun aoherguvjzns,gr[aijfgj[avsbwgfjis[dSCUPAGYSCHQFGJFEIPSX

• Thanks Thanks x 4
  5. Prestige

aa Prestige im not gay anymore

Positive Ratings:
    new flare fun is OP. needs nerf. worst addition to this game. etc..

nah but it is pretty damn powerful over the other secondaries. the jump and the health loss is about the same as soldier (i think the health loss is scaled to pyro's HP).

6. EArkham

aa EArkham Necromancer

Positive Ratings:
    Reducing those melee weapons' damage by 25% is completely unnecessary. I hope that does not make it into the live game. Ever.

Especially not the powerjack change... so attendant pyros now take 30% from melee (melee counts as bullets for some reason)? Totally unnecessary for a class that's supposed to get closer to kill.

Rest of the stuff sounds pretty good.

Kep

7. Icarus

aa Icarus

Positive Ratings:
    I'm personally excited by the new medigun

And I'll appreciate the BB buff <3

8. Mr. Wimples

Mr. Wimples L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Two words:
    Flare JUMPS

I don't care how they nerf it, as long as you can flarejump I'd be happy.
    Although it does make pyros a heck of a lot more mobile and can seriously cause some advantages for flare-pyros, it's just so darn fun.

9. Hell-met

Hell-met L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    melee has its own hit type now, it was fixed

(proof : you can no longer destroy stickies by hitting them with melee since the medieval update)

10. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
  11. Prestige

aa Prestige im not gay anymore

Positive Ratings:
    yes it was, but i think they should revert this :(

12. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    What is this? I actually like all these updates! I'm not even cringing at the sound of approaching new weapons.

13. Trotim

aa Trotim

Positive Ratings:
    The paradigm shift about random crits is very welcome but a blanket damage decrease won't work out:
    The Gunslinger didn't need no random crits in the first place as the 3-hit combo is a total gimmick. Yes the combo grants crits, yes you shouldn't use it to hit people with, but a damage decrease there is just unnecessary. The Southern Hospitality however finally got nerfed, probably not by enough though.
    The Eyelander and Claymore really didn't need another nerf - I still vote for them having random crits enabled and the Targe disabling them on your melee weapon (as controlled/granted crits are a tradeoff for random crits). -25% melee damage on the Ullapool Caber doesn't even work as the explosion still does the same damage.
    The Powerjack didn't need to get nerfed, either. (Yes I know I'm seeing this from a no-crit server perspective.)

Vita-saw being able to see enemy health is a pretty dumb mechanic but why not I guess. The Quick-Fix I didn't get to test yet but healing ~300 health per second on ubercharge sounds like enough to rival the actual uber even against Sentries, especially since knockback is disabled.

The new Flare detonation is nice but I don't see why they can't just give this alt-fire to the old Flare Gun. It's in need of some love. 100% crits on burning targets was pretty much expected a buff and I appreciate it. This (achieved with the "crits on minicrit" attribute) and the 50-ammo airblast on Backburner I actually wanted to implement on my own server so that gives me some hope I'm not completely off myself.

FoS nerf doesn't change much, Dalokohs Bar is still useless, Loch-n-Load is still useless but can now do annoying instagibs, Equalizer tweaks are welcome but minimal, Mad Milk is still broken and the Sleeper still worthless.

More obvious overheal effect and the healing combat text are nice though. Overall this update gives me hope again - they're going in the right direction again finally after like four months of random stumbling.

The Equalizer's "can't be healed when out" attribute is actually meaningful now too!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  14. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    Overall they sound fun. I might switch the powerjack in my loadout for the homewrecker if this goes through, but that flare-gun sounds cool.

15. Mariner

Mariner L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Wow, there's actually a substantial difference between the Beta and the game proper. Downloading again.

16. Wilson

aa Wilson Burial by Sleep

Positive Ratings:
    The new flare gun and Sydney Sleeper changes made me jump all over the place, as someone who snipes a lot with SS and loves playing pyro, these changes are made out of pure gold.

17. StickZer0

aa StickZer0 💙💙💃💙💙

Positive Ratings:
  18. Loc_n_lol

Loc_n_lol L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Just when you no longer expected anything worthwhile, BAM!

19. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    If these are the ideas that get into beta, and presumably to be judged there, why the bugger did so much shite get through recently.

20. Mr.Blob

Mr.Blob L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    The Sydney Sleeper is still a piece of shit :>

You will never convert me Valve! - Ahaha!