1 TF2Maps.net Map a week for Main Playground Teamplay server

Colt Seavers

L6: Sharp Member
Dec 30, 2007
I'm getting to know some of you better and getting a better insight to what mappers value.

It seems to me that the main purpose of game days to most is to get their map playtested. They are an ideal way to do this and get concentrated feedback.

That's not, however, how the guys who hang around the Playground Usually test their maps...simply because it often takes people a little while to get to know a map before they can really evaluate it.

What I propose in addition to all the ad-hoc closed map testing, game nights, and Youme's Custom Map Lab, is that I offer a place in the main Colts Playground TF2 Teamplay server weekly rotation, to a map being developed by TF2Maps.net members.

Here is the server monitor. It has an even better ping than the custom map lab and is full every evening. I run all stocks (except ctf_well) and between 3 and 5 custom maps.

You can now connect to our TF2 Teamplay server by typing in console: connect tf2.coltsplayground.net
Colts Playground TF2 Teamplay

So, the challenge for you lot, is to agree amongst yourselves what map will be included when. Rotations change on a Friday. The map must be up to beta stage - since it's the main playground server. I would prefer the map to include a 'map underconstruction banner' (Youme made one for all Playground Tested maps and can provide it - or we could come up with a 'TF2Maps.net Testing in the Playground' one.

I suggest you only decide the maps a few weeks in advance to allow you to respond to new and exciting maps you'd like to get tested.

Once you have decided your first 3 weeks maps one of the forum admins can send me a link to them.

Cheers

Colt

phatal

Jan 8, 2008
I'm getting to know some of you better and getting a better insight to what mappers value.

It seems to me that the main purpose of game days to most is to get their map playtested. They are an ideal way to do this and get concentrated feedback.

That's not, however, how the guys who hang around the Playground Usually test their maps...simply because it often takes people a little while to get to know a map before they can really evaluate it.

What I propose in addition to all the ad-hoc closed map testing, game nights, and Youme's Custom Map Lab, is that I offer a place in the main Colts Playground TF2 Teamplay server weekly rotation, to a map being developed by TF2Maps.net members.

Here is the server monitor. It has an even better ping than the custom map lab and is full every evening. I run all stocks (except ctf_well) and between 3 and 5 custom maps.

You can now connect to our TF2 Teamplay server by typing in console: connect tf2.coltsplayground.net
Colts Playground TF2 Teamplay

So, the challenge for you lot, is to agree amongst yourselves what map will be included when. Rotations change on a Friday. The map must be up to beta stage - since it's the main playground server. I would prefer the map to include a 'map underconstruction banner' (Youme made one for all Playground Tested maps and can provide it - or we could come up with a 'TF2Maps.net Testing in the Playground' one.

I suggest you only decide the maps a few weeks in advance to allow you to respond to new and exciting maps you'd like to get tested.

Once you have decided your first 3 weeks maps one of the forum admins can send me a link to them.

Cheers

Colt

The level designer should be able to place a decal with beta map info and such or use Youmes but just in case you could place server custom decals. I'm sure you know of these. We use the custom decals on our servers. You just place them in game and they stay there. Pretty nifty since it's server side and keeps them in place for future rotational plays.

Colt Seavers

Dec 30, 2007
i've had soooo much trouble getting these to work :( i went round the map getting coords and stuff- but they just showed up as purple/texture missing blocks.

i really must work it out - it would be soooo much easier.

btw - the first map up is on the rotation now - it's cp_redstone_b1 - which i just happen to like. If my dusty memory is correct its a tf2maps.net map ??? at the moment i'm loving the way it looks and my only critisism is the long walks :D once the engi's get familiar with the map though, it wont be so bad. I like the idea of forward spawns. We'll play it lots more and i'll make a post in it's thread, if i can find it :D

Last edited:

The Scientist

L1: Registered
Mar 11, 2008
I love this idea. It always seems like it would be really hard to find a server that is willing to run a map long enough for people to actually critique it. Kudos to you, mate.