Working beep boy * 2017-08-05

a modeled and 3d printed beeb boy case for a rasberry pi

  1. Yotts
    * the beep boy isnt working yet
    This jam has turned into a comedy of errors due to user error.


    Day 1

    My original plan for the jam was to model, print and paint a cleaners carbine. This idea was highly ambitious, but I was optimistic that I could do it. What I did not take into account was the fact that I would not have enough time to print all the parts with the filament that I had. This project would also have taken more than 72 hours of working time to complete correctly and modeling the carbine was taking much longer than I anticipated. After almost 6 hours of working on the project, I got ready to print the first piece only to realize I was experiencing a filament shortage and didn’t have enough material to print the weapon.
    [​IMG]
    Because of the lack of materials I had to change my project for the jam. I saw online people who made a raspberry pi act as a steam link and decided to make a case for a raspberry pi allowing me to play tf2 on a beep boy.

    I got a hold of an old calculator and after ripping off its screen, I was able to get the dimensions of the beep boy. After getting it scaled correctly I modeled the case to allow access to all the ports that I use while hiding the ports as best as I could.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    At this point it was way later then I was planning on working so I called it a night.


    Day 2

    After some sleep I printed the faceplate to the beep boy. I had the printer on the wrong settings and used the setting for a different filament so the first attempt to print was a failure.
    [​IMG]
    The second attempt to print the beep boy was a success. It took slightly over 3 hours to print and immediately away the print finished, I began sanding it smooth. After spending about an hour sanding it. I went to test fit the screen and I then realized that I forgot to take into account the wall thickness making all my work more or less useless.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The only way to correct this problem was to scale the entire beep boy larger, however the screen was the limiting factor. What I ended up doing was scaling the entire beeb boy by 10% to fit in the screen but keeping the screen the unscaled size. This made the beep boy’s screen 10% too small so I increased the chamfer around the edges of the screen to make the empty space feel less empty. I am now printing the third attempt for the front cover of the beep boy.

    Day 3
    I spent the majority of this day trying to make all the pieces fit together correctly. The final product is not as nice as I would have liked, but I think it is a good starting point to make a v2 from it.

    [​IMG]
    The beeb boy is definitely not as good as It could have been. I normally use a resin to fill in the gaps however that takes 24 hours + to cure. If I had time to use that the chamfer around the screen and the indentations where the buttons go would have been much smoother.
    [​IMG]
    The top of the beep boy is warped due to how far the solder points extended below to the pi. In a v2 there would be space the accommodate the pins.


    The side view also shows how the top of the back side is warped due to the pins.
    [​IMG]

    When the side panel is removed you get access to the hdmi out and power in.[​IMG]

Recent Reviews

  1. NeoDement
    NeoDement
    5/5,
    Version: 2017-08-05
    damn this is so cool, as the creator of the Beep Boy it's super cool to see stuff like this. please do ping me if you ever get around to a smoothed v2 :p