[WIP] tc_meridian

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
Been meaning to leave some comments on the maps I played...

There were maybe max of 6 players per team when I played, I think you were playing engi.

Very original. I really liked all the areas visually (although I absolutely HATE dev textures... Honestly I don't even see how people can map with them). Other than Dev tex I wouldn't change it visually at all. I thought you did a good job fitting the cartoony TF2 style while completely avoiding it looking like TF2.

Terrain: I kept getting stuck on the bridges, had to jump to get on. They could use player clip ramps to smooth that out.
The caves were really cool.
The intel cap is a cool change from cap points, and I think it works pretty well.
I felt like the one cap round, I think it was village to submarine felt really small. I think I capped that myself a few times. Hard to tell, might be alot harder with more players.
Getting intel off boat proved quite difficult with 2 engis in there. I think that area and the bottom of the shack in village have some sentry issues. Too easy to hide a sentry under a ramp where it's too hard to get to. Maybe if the ramps were solid to floor then sentry couldn't hide under them and would be more exposed.

The circle around the bot. I'd say fill in the gaps. Where the circle goes around and meets hallways it meets at 'points' in the circle. I think visually it would be best to have the 'hallway floor' extend out to circle.
instead of
>|
have
_
>|
_
if that makes sense. Couple small triangles to fill the gaps.

I fell off the sub a few times too, limited ways to get out of water. Seems like if there is heavy gameplay and you fall off maybe a tunnel leaving to safe water exit would be good. I also saw someone else fall in and swim around trying to find exit, tried to swim into the pipes...

As for intel. The stands are probably good visually, but they make it hard to grab intel and run. You either grab it and bump, jump, or try and run around/turn around. I think for hectic gameplay might be best to make them non-solid or just ditch em.

That's all I really have, minor stuff really, looking foward to final.

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
Yeah, I hate dev textures too, but when working on a collaborative project they are better for blocking out a layout.

Also, one thing I've noticed happening a couple times is that the capture zone ownership is not correctly changed. This has made it so that as soon as a player picks up the intel, it gets captured. However, since it's being captured at the wrong spot, it doesn't automatically cause a win, and has to be "captured" three times before the round ends. I'm looking into what causes this.

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
Sigh... I hope one day to play this with more than 12 people. I think due to the relatively small size between flags within a miniround, it plays way too quickly with small numbers. I don't really see if there could be a way to address this. Just noting and lamenting the lack ofa full server :p

Feb 14, 2008
Oooh, that was me wasn't it, I posted about it in our Maps & Modding section :D

Although there was only one reply to that thread...

Hmmm *logs onto CP#1*

Colt Seavers

L6: Sharp Member
Dec 30, 2007
i throughly enjoyed the map - we did end up playing a 10v10 on it later. I enjoyed it so much it's on te main Playground Rotation now so once i've played it much more i will be able to give some useful feedback hopefully.

Looks amazing. Just need to play it lots now ;)

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
Working on detailing. Here's a shot of the robot room.

tc_meridian_a4dev_robot.jpg

Inqwel

Jun 2, 2008
Its a shame that I missed this one during Game day.

Last edited:

roninmodern

L3: Member
Feb 5, 2008
I didn't see a door...How is the robot going to get out of the hangar?

I know its not an issue for the gameplay, jsut wondering what red was going to do when they wanted wanton destruction!

Inqwel

Jun 2, 2008
I didn't see a door...How is the robot going to get out of the hangar?

I know its not an issue for the gameplay, jsut wondering what red was going to do when they wanted wanton destruction!

The roof. There was an earlier screen shot of the room with a hole in the ceiling and the platforms for it to be moved up and out.

Bonafide

Mar 18, 2008
Those metal doors on the bamboo hut respawns are only temporary I assume? They stuck out pretty bad last time I played it. Hopefully a temporary sit in for some bamboo doors.

(Hopefully you will see the light and change it to a CP TC map instead of CTF TC, but then I guess I am dreaming)

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
Those metal doors on the bamboo hut respawns are only temporary I assume? They stuck out pretty bad last time I played it. Hopefully a temporary sit in for some bamboo doors.

Yes, and thanks for the reminder. I've been working so much on the spytech interiors that I forgot some of the outside still needed work.

(Hopefully you will see the light and change it to a CP TC map instead of CTF TC, but then I guess I am dreaming)

If I can't find a way to bring back the CTF hud, I will change it to CP.

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007

:wow:

Yes please. I think you're doing a great job on that cave. The lights you chose couldn't be better for that and it just gets better and better. Hands down sir.

Feb 14, 2008
Yes, and thanks for the reminder. I've been working so much on the spytech interiors that I forgot some of the outside still needed work.

You could create a HUD using custom CP icons.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
You could create a HUD using custom CP icons.

Could we/do we get/have a tutorial on this? I know someone else produced a map with custom cp icons and it looked really cool. It would be nice to know how.

It's looking really nice. I'm not sure how to comment on it with crits, funnily enough. It just looks nice :p