WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

K_Factor

L1: Registered
May 6, 2016
Thanks for the advice Manoman!
Scale is something I wanted from the beginning, it will make more sense once the theme is in place (im going for archaelogical excavation) and the props are in.
Youre right that sightline has got to go, ill probably put in a tunnel/another building and some props to cover it up.

RataDeOrdenador

L5: Dapper Member
Oct 12, 2015
The displacements are MURDERING ME... so hard I can't even.

But hey,At least it's playable... kind of,sort of. I still need some lights,cover,FIXDISPLACEMENTS,etc...
Anyways,here's Resort V2! First point at least.

(forgot to show the BLU spawn... sorry. T^T)
20160508234901_1.jpg
20160508234911_1.jpg

RataDeOrdenador

Oct 12, 2015
Looks weird when skybox is bright but map itself is very dark
Actually,the sun is what emits a good chunk of the light. But since it gets blocked by the walls,I've been using ambient_lights with the same colour scheme-thingie..

I either place the sun somewhere else (might look bad[skybox,perhaps? I dunno. :X ]),or I make the lights brighter. It might look better when there's less "80feettall" walls blocking everything.

Probably,I hope.

RataDeOrdenador

Oct 12, 2015
the walls shouldnt be blocking it, the skybox should come up at the walls, sealing each individual area. Not a big box.

But the sun itself is at a very,VERY low position. Don't think you/I want a pretty small walls with a big skybox.

I'm basically using this skybox.

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
But the sun itself is at a very,VERY low position. Don't think you/I want a pretty small walls with a big skybox.

I'm basically using this skybox.

Even when you have a low sun it should be possible to have a map well lit. If the sun is too low dont use that as an excuse, fix it by making the sun be a bit higher or compensate it with artificial lights.

Dark areas in most cases dont do well. They make team identification harder, and often benefit classes that dont want to be spotted fast (spy, sniper, medic, pyro), and especialy when too dark these classes can cause ninja wins or frustrating deaths.

If you realy want the sun to be low, add lights to make the map itself brigher. For an example just look at http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/File:Pipeline02.jpg
For a map at night its a well lit zone.

Even my own map and using earkhams assets it has a low sun position (-30), but its still a quite bright map because i add light at every place that was recieving shadows.

Aug 30, 2015
Playing around with GIMP. Ostensibly they're point signs with a swamp-ier feel
Best take this picture from a distance, that way they can't tell how crap it looks
20160509175153_1.jpg

Might post the things, but I'm also considering taking my other shit down, so.
Swampy Signs A R2.png
Relevant. Also, here's some more shit
Northshore 5-8-2016.jpg A4 Development.jpg

Empyre

L6: Sharp Member
Feb 8, 2011
The only problem I see with those signs is the fact that the wear and weathering is identical on all of them. The spots should be in different places and shapes on each one.

K_Factor

L1: Registered
May 6, 2016
Redoing the concept in Koth as that seemed to make more sense for the map's "story," and the old one just wasn't a good layout compared to this one.

koth_digsite

57a2a9af0a.jpg

Uncuepa

aa
Oct 25, 2014
Redoing the concept in Koth as that seemed to make more sense for the map's "story," and the old one just wasn't a good layout compared to this one.

koth_digsite

dsfdsfsd.png

TOO STEEP

for a gentle slope, 3 or 4hu along for every 1hu vertical is good. For general purpose ramps 2x1 and stairs 3x2. Going in at 1x1 is just dangerous!

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
TOO STEEP

Whule you should avoid 1:1 stairs if possible, they aren't unacceptable. Valve uses them fairly often in Hydro.

In this particular situation, the more egregious thing is that the stairs change slope between flights. While we don't have to worry about how dangerous this would be to walk on (because it's a video game), it does look odd from an aesthetic perspective.

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
Whule you should avoid 1:1 stairs if possible, they aren't unacceptable. Valve uses them fairly often in Hydro.
They're also present in spades in Gorge. I think I spotted about two staircases in that entire map that weren't at a 45º angle.

Hipster_Duck

L2: Junior Member
Dec 20, 2015
Blu spawn of a 2 cp a/d map I'm working on.
20160511171250_1.jpg

The surrounding orange walls will be cliffs.
(Just on a side note any tips for displacements on cliffs? My cliffs always end up looking very square and it just doesn't look good at all.)

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
@Hipster_Duck Please be very careful about using those security fence models in gameplay areas. Throughout TF2's history they've delineated primarily between the playspace and the out of bounds areas.

I hope that the orange walled box isn't how you're sectioning off this whole area, a few buildings inside an empty box isn't really a good way to create an interesting space, and that's ignoring that there's no way to optimise a big empty space like this.

Hipster_Duck

L2: Junior Member
Dec 20, 2015
The surrounding orange walls will be cliffs.

But yea, I see your point, I was debating on adding another building behind the two parallel containers (maybe an airplane hanger of some sort) and I was also going to make it look like the area was cut out of a forest, putting tree stumps near the fence and full trees outside the fence. And you're right about the fact I should probably do something about the fences being in the play space. Thanks for the feedback.

Edit: (Just cause I don't think I explained it very well) the orange "cliffs are outside the map and are unreachable, the gameplay space its shown by the fences that go around it (except for that "L" shaped peice that was there, which I have now removed: 20160514121813_1.jpg )

Attachments

• 20160514121813_1.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:

SSX

aa
Feb 2, 2014
A personal project of mine is starting back up again:

Original:
Am0FXBk.jpg

Hammer Alpha:
h3200wu.png