WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

SSX

aa
Feb 2, 2014
y0XwqtJfwl098n2sKNgAhrXFkKXKmJXqwvFVPIxX2E4

So I heard you like height, so I put missiles into my height...and this is a butchered meme.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I'm doing something crazy again.

1C73A438A33A9A108734EE8C47E06D0142EF55BD

E386D1FC898DF8F2E4F5E777E1A9810A1788B98C

Anyone remember this? Yep, it's gonna go full circle.

...I wish I knew anything about making particles because those torches are lonely without them.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
tumblr_nu4tn6sCBP1u1ymm4o2_1280.jpg

Collaborative project (me + one other) that combines elements of the facades of the Art Institute of Chicago and La Tourette. Orange block is human scale (6 ft tall). I don't think I've ever really appreciated how quickly you can build stuff with brushes until now.

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
Oh wow that lightmap scale.

Lain

lobotomy success story
aa
Jan 8, 2015
I'm doing something crazy again.

1C73A438A33A9A108734EE8C47E06D0142EF55BD

E386D1FC898DF8F2E4F5E777E1A9810A1788B98C

Anyone remember this? Yep, it's gonna go full circle.

...I wish I knew anything about making particles because those torches are lonely without them.

How sad is it that I was worried that mobs would spawn in the level because of that darkness >.>

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
It's a pretty weird feeling seeing something that you made be recreated in minecraft.

Spipper

Former cheese man Gorgonzola
aa
Feb 18, 2012
About to post a new version of cp_danktown (now called blanktown)
The new last features some better defensible positions and has a one-way shortcut to 2nd's reworked sidearea:
ypTBuOE.jpg

pvZlF2V.jpg

B4Leenh.jpg

HAFgne5.jpg

Uncloak and Dagger

L1: Registered
Sep 5, 2015
Little concept I made for a 3 CP attack/defense map without a name so far. A badlands desert theme as the exterior as well as having some spytech themes on the inside, with textures just to get inspiration before moving them to dev so its easier on my computer for then.
Capture.PNG
The land before the first point, without any cover and basic displacements.
Captuere.PNG
Captur3e.PNG
The inside and out of the first points enclosure so far, just to add some spatial feel for now. I originally was going to have red spawn here, but decided not to but just haven't moved them out yet.
Hammer1.png
Blu's base in its current state, allowing for counter-sniping, having a dustbowl style building.

Before the main point, the goal is to have multiple routes and cover points, along with a tunnel to space players out and focus more on the best way to get there, although classes with more mobilty can easily get through, while slower classes like the medic or pyro are more suited to the tunnels or alternate routes.

killohurtz

Distinction in Applied Carving
aa
Feb 22, 2014
My first thought when I looked at that first picture

Anyway, you might want to steer clear of displacements that noisy, because it'll easily frustrate players trying to traverse and fight on it. Generally you should keep your ground smooth to allow ease of movement. Also, that horribly stretched texture in the first picture can be avoided by building your cliff shape out of brushes first, then converting the faces you need into displacements.

Lain

lobotomy success story
aa
Jan 8, 2015
Little concept I made for a 3 CP attack/defense map without a name so far. A badlands desert theme as the exterior as well as having some spytech themes on the inside, with textures just to get inspiration before moving them to dev so its easier on my computer for then.
Capture.PNG
The land before the first point, without any cover and basic displacements.
Captuere.PNG
Captur3e.PNG
The inside and out of the first points enclosure so far, just to add some spatial feel for now. I originally was going to have red spawn here, but decided not to but just haven't moved them out yet.
Hammer1.png
Blu's base in its current state, allowing for counter-sniping, having a dustbowl style building.

Before the main point, the goal is to have multiple routes and cover points, along with a tunnel to space players out and focus more on the best way to get there, although classes with more mobilty can easily get through, while slower classes like the medic or pyro are more suited to the tunnels or alternate routes.

1. Too open.
2. Don't use displacements in Alpha. (especially of that magnitude and density) If you're relying on Displacements to accommodate gameplay on their own, they will not do that. This is why no official map in the entire game uses displacements like that.
3. Stay far, far away from props. This is a major downfall of new mappers, and it looks like you have grabbed a few displacements and props and tried to make a level around them, don't. Just use brushes.
4. Dev textures don't make it 'easier on your computer' it has 0 bearing on performance. People use dev textures when they don't want to murder peoples eyes with terrible texture work / make the area cleaner and easier for players to comprehend.
5. Look at how Valve maps do scaling, and think about the flow of the level within the bounds of each character. At the moment your level looks like Demo/Soldier heaven, since Blast Jumping exists. This is why most maps use a variance of indoor and outdoor areas, so classes like the Pyro and the Engineer have a chance of doing anything.

Uncloak and Dagger

L1: Registered
Sep 5, 2015
Thanks for the feedback-
1- I've enclosed it a lot, turning it more into a canyon.
2- I've kept to just using the base brushes for now
3- Alright- those have been removed to just focus on the main brushwork for now
4- Thanks for letting me know, going around on complete maps in hammer tends to lag my computer out and I wanted to just maximize my performance for now, but I'll keep them to spare my eyes the mess of the textures from earlier and so it brings less attention to it themselves.
5- I've now made room for underground areas, providing alternate routes while still giving room for blast jumping and sniping on the surface.
I'll see how it goes from here and try to keep each classes playstyles in mind.