What time is it in the Lumberyard skybox?

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
Well... yeah. What time exactly is it on your map when you use the Lumberyard skybox? There must be mathemagics to determine that based on angle of shadows and the like.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Using this chart (geographic location is close enough for a rough estimate I guess) and knowing that the optimum sun pitch for that skybox is -65 from horizontal, we can say that it's between 11am and 1pm.

Then again I could also be (and most likely am) wrong.

Sep 1, 2009
Between 11am and 1pm.

Then again I could also be (and most likely am) wrong.

It is likely that that timeframe is accurate

ics

http://ics-base.net
aa
Jun 17, 2010

purequaternion

L3: Member
May 19, 2009
This actually sounds like a fun math problem.

There's more than just the angle off from the horizon to consider though, since strictly speaking the sun would only achieve zenith once a year (twice if the location is on the equator). Lumberyard's sky doesn't match anything equatorial, and likely is trying to evoke something like the Pacific northwest. Seattle, for example, is 47 degrees N latitude. A handy solar calculator here gives the elevation and zenith angles: http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/grad/solcalc/. I forget how Source defines its coordinate system, but I think the 65 degrees mentioned before is the elevation angle, not the zenith angle. (zenith angle = 90-elevation angle).

To do this properly, we'd have to decide on the time of year of the skybox, and an approximate latitude of the location. Once those are chosen, we can find the approximate time of day for a 65 degree solar elevation.

Yes, I way over thought this. It beats grading final exams.

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
I always thought the Alpine theme was supposed to be in the, you know, Alps

JustAHorrible

L2: Junior Member
May 5, 2012
*facepalm* I haven't been educated on time prediction under the conditions of a weather without a digital/wall clock.

Mar 23, 2010
i did the math and it came out at 3:30am

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
partycat.png

In other news, purequaternion, the sun will only reach zenith within the tropics (That's kinda the definition of the tropics) Sooooo what you're saying is a little off.

I personally had assumed it was russian tundra not american northwest, that would put it at closer to 60 degrees than 45. Though my second guess would actually be the alps (which also lie at 45). I think the reason for my assumption it was soviet alps is the timing of the introduction, the Heavy update. My mind formed an obvious link.

As far as the actual location goes, we can only say it's below 47 degrees latitude so american Northwest and actual Alps works great provided it's midsummer.

Someone should email Dhabih Eng and ask. (He is the artist responsible for the skybox in question I believe).

Last edited:

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Someone should email Dhabih Eng and ask. (He is the artist responsible for the skybox in question I believe).

Okay.

EDIT: didn't know the guys email, so I emailed Eric Smith, and politely asked him to forward the email to the artist or designer of the map.

If he didn't know, I told him to disregard the email.

Last edited:

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
The alpine theme is based on Northern California, Oregon and Washington.

I've been driving down from Portland on my way to San Francisco and it's incredible how much reference there is out here.

The Alps would be more European.

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
man, you guys are huge nerds.

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
Good call, because no one else on a site devoted to making maps for a war themed hat simulator, wherein they tirelessly nitpick texture alignment or prop selection, is a nerd. Nope. Just the guys figuring out what time of day is depicted in a skybox.