1. Hey Guest, welcome to the new forums. Be sure to check out this thread to get all the information you need on the cool new stuff!

[TUTORIAL] Menu Photos

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Resources' started by Swift, Nov 19, 2007.

1. samn

samn L4: Comfortable Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd also like to know this

2. AWESOME-O

AWESOME-O L10: Glamorous Member

Thanks Received:
    photoshop is a 3rd party application also.... :\
    And not everyone gots photoshop

3. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Thanks Received:
    samn thanked this.
  4. eerieone

aa eerieone

Thanks Received:
    ARGHS; GETTING CRAZY (ONCE AGAIN)

tried to update my menu_photos for pl_cashworks to pack them into the bsp

i´m working with ps cs3 and the vtf plugin, and somehow i dont get it right, cant see the menushots neither ingame, nor in the tex-browser

the vmt is ok...

can someone plz tell me which exact options i have to chose in the photoshop´s vmf-save window?

5. eerieone

aa eerieone

Thanks Received:
    Problem solved, wasn´t the vtf

the problem was caused by a coruppted vmt
    dont know how that could happen

lost so many nervers because of this :)

6. l3eeron

l3eeron L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Thanks Received:
    thank you... used it

7. Shadow Monkey

aa Shadow Monkey Super Monkey

Thanks Received:
    Awesome tutorial, thank you so much!

8. Sgt Frag

Sgt Frag L14: Epic Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, I tried to click thanks but I get
    'this is not a menu array thingy'.

So thanks, I'm releasing a final vers of my sniper map and this helped alot. Will be using it for final release of my arena soon.

9. GrimGriz

GrimGriz L10: Glamorous Member

Thanks Received:
    These appear fine when I 'create server' locally, but when I upload to an actual server I have a problem. I reopen the .bsp with pakrat and there they are...and I even uploaded them to the servers vgui/maps directory as well...no dice. Anyone have any ideas?

10. Mokagogo

Mokagogo L1: Registered

Thanks Received:
    I measured the on-screen space that my framed images take in Photoshop, and compared it to in-game, and in-game the images are being stretched by about 0.75cm. It happens to all images -- including valve's own framed map images -- and there doesn't seem to be a good solution to this. The result is that my images look lower-quality and rather grainy. I tried the various mipmap/no mipmap etc settings, but you'll note, if you open Valve's own VTF files for objectives-page images in VTFEdit, that they actually include mipmaps; so this doesn't seem to be a genuine factor.

I also tried making a 1024px image, in the hope that downsizing from that would look better. However, because the new size isn't exactly half the size of 1024 (since 512 had to size up, remember) it isn't any cleaner either; presumably the game is taking the 1024px image and scaling it down using the 512px mipmap as a rough sampling base. It doesn't look great either.

I also tried ensuring that the frames+images took up the entire height of the 512px image. I thought that maybe the game was taking the non-transparent part of the image and scaling it up to 512px high. But doing that made no difference -- the image still was scaled up somewhat, reducing the quality.

It's possible, of course, that I was on the right track and it was the _width_ of the frames that needed to be increased slightly. I don't know -- haven't tried that.

Also, it's worth noting that in Valve's images, the frames are halfway along the image, not on the very left-hand-side. Putting them halfway in makes the screen look better and gives the objectives text more room to breathe.

If anyone has further info on this, suggestions, or comments, please write here.

11. Sgt Frag

Sgt Frag L14: Epic Member

Thanks Received:
    It's possible that it is different screen resolutions that stretch the images to fit instead of just floating them. In which case if you try different res you might get a perfect image.

I've never noticed mine being grainy, I run 1920x14(80?)

12. Mokagogo

Mokagogo L1: Registered

Thanks Received:
    I tried my normal res, 1024x768, and then up to 1280x1024, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

In case anyone's interested, I measured it and it looks like a 512px image becomes roughly 584px tall when scaled for that page.

13. clanabout

clanabout L1: Registered

Thanks Received:
    Download links doesnt work. Can anyone upload again ?

Download Menu Photo's Tutorial
    Download Menu Photo's Template PSD's

14. l3eeron

l3eeron L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Thanks Received:
    I have the .psd templates at home... will upload when I get off of work.

15. Haggis

Haggis L2: Junior Member

Thanks Received:
    Cut and past your "menu_photos_mapname.vtf" and "menu_photos_mapname.vmt" in following directory:
    C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\<player_name>\team fortress 2\tf\materials\vgui\maps

How do you do this as there is no \tf\materials\vgui\maps it is one of the cached folders,do i just make up these folders.

Its ok i have done it.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  16. Tapp

Tapp L10: Glamorous Member

Thanks Received:
    epic bump is epic
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  17. MrDonde

MrDonde L1: Registered

Thanks Received:
    "Copy and paste your "menu_photos_mapname.tga" in following directory:
    C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\<player_name>\team fortress 2\tf\materialsrc"

I look in my steam folder and what I have is:

C:\Steam\steamapps\username\team fortress 2\tf\materials

Where should I put the file if I don't have a "materialsrc" folder?

Second issue, when I went to edit the target of the vtex.exe shortcut I wasn't sure what was ment by:

"Add the following 2 parameters behind the Target:"

Where is behind the target?

18. megawac

megawac L4: Comfortable Member

Thanks Received:
    Make the materialsrc folder in your team fortress 2/tf folder. Place all tga files you want to convert in it.

The target is refering to the propeties of the shortcut.

Example:
    [​IMG]

Dont have sdk on this computer so just showing dropbox with the proper directory to vtex.

MrDonde thanked this.
  19. MrDonde

MrDonde L1: Registered

Thanks Received:
    Awesome sauce, thanks megawac!

I will give it a try on my lunch break.

20. [O]

[O] L3: Member

Thanks Received:
    I've tried it over and over.

The vmt works fine but i think im having problems with the vtf because i keep getting a checkered pink texture where the photos should be,

I have no problem converting the targa to vtf with the vtex.exe so i think im not editing the alpha correctly.

I've used 2fort psd template and placed my screenshots in a layer below the frames but above the black background.

I go to "channels" and have no idea how to:
    I tried deleting the black area didnt work. Turning off certain layer or channels before saving as targa also didnt work.

would appreciate any help on this.