Tractor

Model Tractor 2015-08-30

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
Good model, only thing I have to say is that you should consider making the front and back grates just be done in the texture, rather than modeled in.

Either way though, great work.

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

L10: Glamorous Member
Apr 12, 2008
Can't believe I didn't see this before.

Overall, looks pretty good with the tf2 style (exaggerations and whatnot). A couple of things are off compared to real life tractors, such as the cab sitting far forward and the lack of stuff in the back (hydraulic hoses, draw bar, 3 point hitch) but I actually work with/on tractors, so thats just me :)

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
thank you so much for your feedback all around !
gotta tell you guys one thing, it was reeeeally hard for me to capture the level of detail of the concept and add some missing details to it on the back and inside of the tractor. i'm still not quite there but on a good way i think. I'm really excited to see how this one develops since it's a rather huge object for me again comparable to the drill model - so i hope i have the energy to finish it soon !

ethankarnopp: if you don't mind i'd leave it as it is - i hope i stayed true to your concept ?

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow:
yes it was kinda weird to actually search for vintage tractors and to find out that a whole lot of tech sits in these machines - especially in the back side which was often the most detailled part - which put me in a bad situation, since ethankarnopp had the back side the least detailled. So i took something from this tractor, and something from that and invented this weird back side with tool box attached underneath it :D

Selentic:
the grates definately need to be modeled for such a huge object :)

ethankarnopp

L1: Registered
Dec 11, 2009
yea man you did a great job so far, I definitely dig it so far and am excited to see the next steps. The entire concept was pretty simplified, I didn't want to draw up tons of mechanical doo-dads in areas that would just busy up the overall shape of the tractor. While it may not be completely accurate, I think as a whole the likeness is still present without needing to worry about loose mechanics. Anyway as I said, great job, hope you still have the energy for more :)

Apr 12, 2008
thank you so much for your feedback all around !
gotta tell you guys one thing, it was reeeeally hard for me to capture the level of detail of the concept and add some missing details to it on the back and inside of the tractor. i'm still not quite there but on a good way i think. I'm really excited to see how this one develops since it's a rather huge object for me again comparable to the drill model - so i hope i have the energy to finish it soon !

If you'd like, I could head out to the shop tomorrow and snap a few pictures of the console area/rear of a few tractors. We've got 2 or 3 that look very much like what you're doing, and several others from that time period, though cabless (they're all put away for winter, so some of the shots many not be pristine lighting).

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
i think that would be really helpful for some nifty detail.
but like i said, the stylized look doesn't scream for 100% accurate stuff so i hope you wouldn't be mad because i left some (or even more) things out - e.g. "artistic" (as artistic as this might get) freedom :D
i really don't wanna make promises on this one. i'm definately be trying new shapes and details but if i should think it doesn't go too well, then i'll leave it as it is.
so i think it's up to you if you think it shall be worth your precious time :)

Apr 12, 2008
Understandable, but it just might be nice to know (particularly for the cab) that there are some levers/pedals and where they generally go. :)

It'll be later today before I can get out to the shop.

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
hey TheDarkerSideofYourShadow, these are some really helpful shots !
especially for the steering wheel and gadgets around that area - i'll definately go over that area again !

haha, and i tell you something. when i was on my way home i saw a similar vintage tractor standing in backyard of a neighbour - but i was too afraid of running around that thing and taking photos :D

Apr 12, 2008
Yeah, we have some old tractors. I mean from the war old. The problem is no one knows which war :-/

If you ever want to do a tracked tractor (like a Caterpillar) we still have some of the small ones around, the rest we recently disposed of for a shiny newer one.

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
Have you got it to work in hammer yet.
If you have can you please make a tutorial for the process you've done (made in sketchup and textured in photoshop).

ethankarnopp

L1: Registered
Dec 11, 2009
I haven't used the skp plugins for hammer, nor have I ever really used hammer other than just messing around. I think even with sketchup you will most likely need at least blender to touch up the model a bit and texture it, but I'm not really a 3D guy so I'm kindof clueless. Personally I just used sketchup for making quick orthographics, I'm a 2D artist so if I'm drawing something that requires a lot of linear perspective it's way quicker for me to quickly model in sketchup and paint over it rather than draw out perspective grids. Ontop of that it's also great because once you have the model you can make some quick orthographic projections for modelers. I could do a tutorial for making sketchup models but from there I really don't know much about converting them to anything that can be used in-game.

Note: I do know that Sketchup pro has export to .obj feature which might save you a lot of trouble if you are really into it.

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
I haven't used the skp plugins for hammer, nor have I ever really used hammer other than just messing around. I think even with sketchup you will most likely need at least blender to touch up the model a bit and texture it, but I'm not really a 3D guy so I'm kindof clueless. Personally I just used sketchup for making quick orthographics, I'm a 2D artist so if I'm drawing something that requires a lot of linear perspective it's way quicker for me to quickly model in sketchup and paint over it rather than draw out perspective grids. Ontop of that it's also great because once you have the model you can make some quick orthographic projections for modelers. I could do a tutorial for making sketchup models but from there I really don't know much about converting them to anything that can be used in-game.

Note: I do know that Sketchup pro has export to .obj feature which might save you a lot of trouble if you are really into it.

Ok in which case can you maybe show us through the sketchup bit an then maybe work with someone through the rest of the process?