Walkway

TR tr_walkway RC2

Washipato

L3: Member
Jun 22, 2009
Im very happy with the response to the map. We got some nice suggestion for the final version and almost everything is working properly

This gets the Seal of Snarky Entity Magic Approval.
It's an honor :)

martijntje:
Sadly, the floating sentry bug is not easy to solve. The only way to solve it (that I know) is to kill the sentry when the hill changes position

About the eater egg:
It's possible to reach the end of the easter egg without using any cheats! I will give you a clue for going through the initial trigger_push:
The force of the push is 320 ...

About the ramp and the rockets:
It seems that rockets, stickys and pipebombs don't damage the bots or the player in the ramp. In earlier versions it worked, I think the responsible is the change in the explosion radius and how it affect players in the last updates. However, there is no bug when the ramp is in the minimum slope position :mellow:

I was thinking that some of the functions in the map would be very interesting to explain. If you want, I can tell you things like how the bots walk or how the launchpad works, if you are interested

flux

L1: Registered
Jun 16, 2009
I think this is perfect. My friends kinda were skeptical about it because most training maps don't have this much diversity in how to train. It's great that they do move foward, they can shoot, jump, make them go into the air, etc... guys I love this and keep it up. :3

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
REQUESTS:

-Can you make a counter for the bots? I.e. toggle on a text-based counter that reads how many bots make it to the end of the walkway, versus how many that don't? And outputs a percentage perhaps?
-Can you make a spawnable AI Red Sentry? Can you somehow count how many bots it kills, versus how many you kill?

If for some reason you'd be open to this... I'd love to spend some time theming some of the more boring looking parts of the map ;_; I love this shit!

Washipato

Jun 22, 2009
Those are good ideas mangy.

I don't know very well how to do the percentage part, but the counter would be possible
The red sentry is a nice idea, but how do you give it unlimited ammo? And where can it be located?

Thanks Drpepper for the reddit link

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
Washipato-

The sentry would ideally be located right where Bots tend to fall after being launched off the pad, so that its furthest firing range would hit them as they're falling down (gives you a chance to airshot before the sentry starts firing) The sentry's ammo is most easily replenished by destroying it based on a timer and having it respawn, unfortunately

The percentage would be based on the two counters: Bots spawned vs bots that trigger the kill at the end of the walkway. You'd store the two in math_counters and then use an entity math function to divide and output the result. Ideally the counter start/reset buttons would be near the jumppad buttons for ease of use.

Another small request is to have the hill default to being below ground. It seems it's used less than it's not, so this would make sense.

Thanks!

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
Damn fine work here.

I love it.

I'm not to skilled, but I'd love to help with anything if you need it.

Cerious

L420: High Member
Aug 10, 2008
My requests:

1. Possibly have an alternate area for bot spawns that triggers for a button. What happens is that they just drop out of the sky and drop straight down into a teleport area that teleports them straight up again so they keep falling down over and over until you trigger the button again or kill them (where they spawn again at that area until you trigger the button to turn it off). This could be useful for practicing midair headshots and airshots without having to wait for the bot to run all the way.

2. Have some sort of duel room for shenanigans, testing, and whatnot. A two-way teleport, one leading from inside the spawn room into a cylindrical duel room (similar to duel_duel2 or the ammomod arenas) so people can duel in there if they want (the primary advantage being that people can still train in the walkway room in a server, and also for people with low-end computers that get bad fps in the main walkway room).

3. Have it bake me a cake for my birthday.

Ninja Kow

L1: Registered
Jul 31, 2009
A very nice map, I love the control room stuff.

One small thing, after a while in the map I noticed that the door between the control room and the walkway has another darker colored door that won't open when you get near it. I could still enter the room through the spawn room entrance, but that seemed like a problem.

RE-EDIT: That door I saw, was the door to the room below. When a bot landed near the door below the control room door, it went up and blocked the control room entrance. Perhaps you should make the bottom door slide down.

Last edited:

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
Oh, also, there needs to be a meter that lets you choose the facing angle of the bots.

I wanna practice rocket dodging as a scoot.

Delusibeta

Mar 21, 2009
Excellent map, this. Small feature request: could we have a "spawn one more bot" button, please?

PL-7764

L6: Sharp Member
Aug 4, 2009
I downloaded this a while ago but just now tried it. Brilliant! I like how it's useful not just for beginners, but also for people who have been playing a while but just want to perfect one skill or class. I can finally stop sucking as Spy (maybe)! :thumbup:

I really like how it also has scenery outside rather than just being a generic building. The attention to detail makes it even better.

Thanks a bunch for this! Hope it only gets better as time goes on. :)

Would it be possible to somehow incorporate an area for sapper practice for Spies? Like a room with engies who constantly build and upgrade sentries, dispensers, and teleporters, so the player can practice sapping and stabbing. Or is there something like this already (I haven't looked through all the features yet)?

Last edited:

wiseguy149

Emperor of Entities and Amateur of Aesthetics
May 12, 2009
Would it be possible to somehow incorporate an area for sapper practice for Spies? Like a room with engies who constantly build and upgrade sentries, dispensers, and teleporters, so the player can practice sapping and stabbing. Or is there something like this already (I haven't looked through all the features yet)?

We've received a lot of requests for this and we're brainstorming how to implement it efficiently. We're very near the entity limit and don't have a lot to work with.

Owlruler

L12: Fabulous Member
Dec 10, 2008
how did you make it so if you type tr_teleport in the console, you get teleported?

wiseguy149

Emperor of Entities and Amateur of Aesthetics
May 12, 2009
how did you make it so if you type tr_teleport in the console, you get teleported?

Whenever that command is entered, it will teleport you to the last black and yellow square that you shot, or to the control room if you haven't shot any.

However, this only works when you host a server, and not when you're playing the map online.

Washipato

Jun 22, 2009
|Cerious|: An extra spawning place would be nice, but teleporting them back will gradualy fill the place where they fall, making practice quite annoying. We will experiment.

We are not going to add a duel room. Sv_cheats is on, so players can easily cheat each other and there are already good duel maps around.

Ninja Kow: That happened to me before, but I never thougt that it was the door under it :facepalm:. The door will slide down in the next version.

Delusion's Beta: we are thinking about adding individual spawns for the next version, so the player can choose which bots he/she want to use

Owlruler:

If you want to know the mechanic, the player is teleported using a point_teleport entity. This entity teleports a target entity, in this case, the player. The entity teleported is !activator. tr_teleport (the command for teleporting) is an alias for an ent_fire command to activate the point_teleport.

To make the player choose where he wants to go, the point_teleport is inside a trigger_teleport. So, the player will be teleported twice before reaching the final destination. The trigger_teleport's target is moved using point_teleport entitys. Shooting the yellow/black squares activates a point_teleport to move the remote destination of the trigger_teleport.

Icarus: Wow ._. That means the image cannot be viewed again?

Last edited: