1. Hey Guest, welcome to the new forums. Be sure to check out this thread to get all the information you need on the cool new stuff!

TF2Maps.net Mapping Contest #7: Payload (Dynamic element)

Discussion in 'Contests' started by Ravidge, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR I do things sometimes.

Thanks Received:
    ACcording to matt, if you send them an email asking about it and saying you could provide a .vmf or a demo of your issue, they might actually respond. He did that a couple times apparently

2. MaximilianZakes

MaximilianZakes L1: Registered

Thanks Received:
    How would I go about getting in touch with him?

3. Micnax

aa Micnax L0: Terribly Lazy Mapper

Thanks Received:
    MangyCarface, ev149, Xi.Cynx and 2 others thanked this.
  4. MaximilianZakes

Thanks Received:
    I appreciate it, dude! :)

I just joined for the contest, so I didn't know if he was a member here or I had to contact him another way.

5. NewwaveNick

NewwaveNick L1: Registered

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, my goal right now is to simply get it into a playable state (working gates, spawns, tracks, most of the basic structures, etc). It keeps seeming like I'm close and then I realize I'm still missing huge components, haha. But yeah, I'm eager to get it out and get it play tested.

6. MaximilianZakes

Thanks Received:
    Alright, I did what Boojum suggested and just did a small test with the basic fundamental idea of the map and it worked! :wow: And it was a lot easier than I had first anticipated.

Now for the hard part ... making the map. :eek:hmy:

7. Xi.Cynx

aa Xi.Cynx

Thanks Received:
    Looks like I am going to come out of my retirement to give this one a go. Even though I never released a map of my own, I was always that guy to help other people finish their maps. Time for me to complete my first map and boy do I have some good dynamic ideas floating around in my head that I can finally put to use. :)

8. Wilson

aa Wilson Founder of Wankhouse

Thanks Received:
    Hey, i finally have some free time and there is new contest on TF2M, i probably can finally make something for a contest!!!

*Computer dies for months*

I swear, lady fortune doesn't want me to enter any of these contests! (Or finish a map either, but still)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
    zpqrei, Micnax and theharribokid thanked this.
  9. Fr0Z3nR

Thanks Received:
  10. Motanum

Motanum L2: Junior Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll try to get in. I have an idea from a few months ago. Might as well execute it. I hope I get enough time, I have other projects

11. Draco18s

Draco18s L9: Fashionable Member

Thanks Received:
    I hate you all. Drawing me back out of my hole with another project to work on.

Goddamnit.

You know what? Screw it, I'll do something SO FREAKING CRAZY I won't have to worry about making it look pretty. That's right, 15% extra percent for blowing people's minds.

Now....to dig up the entity magic that makes it possible.

Bwhahaha.

12. Jack Riguel

Jack Riguel L9: Fashionable Member

Thanks Received:
    I hear the phrase "dynamic" and i come sceaming back to tf2maps.net.

Now i get to debate if I want to waste my time trying to build a map or just start preping for a showcase film after giving up on said map.

13. fubarFX

aa fubarFX Demopan extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    I want to see a new version of pl_rainbowride NOW

14. Draco18s

Thanks Received:
    You still have just over 2 months. Should be plenty to at least have something to show.

Like I said, I'm not going to get very far in the detailing process (plan is to have basic textures and some functional props).

15. Monsterclip

Monsterclip L2: Junior Member

Thanks Received:
    First time contestant!

Hey guys,
    I'm new the boards but have been using the info / assets from the site for a while (ever since I heard about this Payload contest, at least).
    I have a few questions about the general practices of the contest.

Do people usually post screenshots / info of their map that'll be submitted into the contest in the WIP forum, or is that stuff kept more secret?

Same idea for when a map is getting to beta stage. Do people usually get public testers for their contest submissions?

Lastly, is there a server that hosts beta maps for testing, and how does one go about submitting their map to that?

Here's a little teaser for my submission, PL Quagmire.
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance, and looking forward to competing in the contest!

MangyCarface thanked this.
  16. Fr0Z3nR

Thanks Received:
    You can post the map's .bsp and images in this forum. There you can recieve feedback, and discuss the map, and all the changes you have made (the thread up updateable)

To submit for a test, either join us in chat and wait around for an "impromptu event" ... which is kinda like a pick-up test where people just say they need something tested. You can also look out for Gameday events in the event forum.

spekkio and Monsterclip thanked this.
  17. bob+M|M+

bob+M|M+ L6: Sharp Member

Thanks Received:
  18. henke37

henke37 L13: Stunning Member

Thanks Received:
    I think I might enter, just to see if someone manages to make a worse map than me.

19. Draco18s

Thanks Received:
    Challenge accepted!

20. CornP

CornP L1: Registered

Thanks Received:
    This is so cool! I'll give it a go.