TF2Maps.net Mapping Contest #7: Payload (Dynamic element)

Sep 1, 2009
Dynamic element..... that means pretty uch anything in my twisted mind of payload goes XD
Time to plan out that rotating payload room OR a payload that defys the mind XD

Jetti

L5: Dapper Member
May 2, 2010
The reward medal wouldn't happen to be the Mapper's Medallion, would it? If so, little bummed out. Ah wells. The Top Three will definately deserve it.

Okrag

Wall Staples
aa
Jun 10, 2009
It is the mappers medallion but don't worry, artpass entrants will still get theirs.

Vincent

&#128296 Grandmaster Lizard Wizard Jedi &#128296
aa
Sep 5, 2009
I got a question. There were a few idea's to add dynamic elements to the maps, like making it so you need intel to push the cart, or you're required to move intel from one spot or another to activate "terminals" so that tracks line up so you can push the cart.

Doesn't that violate the "Standard" pl_ rule we have?

How "dynamic" can we get outside of moving the cart, or the tracks around the cart that doesn't require other elements of gameplay like intel or control points?

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
Look at barnblitz's turntable, thunder mountain's platforms, etc.

That's what I took as "dynamic elements", but I guess as long as there's a cart and you push it (somehow) to the end.

I am super hyped to enter. Watch out everyone.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
i should make a ponyville themed map would that make me win

front page gimmick post awwww yeaaaa

The heck with Ponyville!

PL_CANTERLOT

(You know it would be epic)

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
The reward medal wouldn't happen to be the Mapper's Medallion, would it? If so, little bummed out. Ah wells. The Top Three will definately deserve it.

Okrag is right, the Mappers medallion is still the reward for the artpass, but I've gotten Valve to allow us to distribute it for contests and other things... of which I will make a thread about it when I learn more specifics.

EDIT: Okay, actually, I didn't really get valve to let us distribute it... They just said "oh, you want one? Sure. Give us a model and some requirements for distributions" ... I wanted to clarify that so I didn't actually sound important (cause I'm not :p)

Last edited:

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
Literally every idea I have had has been shot down as too revolutionary.

Terwonick

L6: Sharp Member
Aug 25, 2010
pl_halfway_teaser.png

teaser before I go to bed, just the track really.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
I got a question. There were a few idea's to add dynamic elements to the maps, like making it so you need intel to push the cart, or you're required to move intel from one spot or another to activate "terminals" so that tracks line up so you can push the cart.

Doesn't that violate the "Standard" pl_ rule we have?

How "dynamic" can we get outside of moving the cart, or the tracks around the cart that doesn't require other elements of gameplay like intel or control points?

The line that reads "standard pl" is just there to remind of the blu=offense, red=defense premise, and that it's enforced. I might reword it.

The rules say "Must follow the same game mechanics/scoring system as set by official payload maps."
Which is along the lines: A cart from the blue team has to start at one end of a track, pass through any number of control points along its path to reach a goal.
Winning is either by reaching the end (BLU), or defending until time runs out (RED).

How a cart gets from A to B is not relevant, as long as it's possible. And that the win conditions are the same as we're used to (like I typed out just above).

Furthermore, this is not a "make a new payload gamemode" competition. It's payload with some spice. I may have been hasty in allowing the intel thing setup, as I might have interpreted it incorrectly, I don't want to see a/d ctf with a mobile capture point. if that makes it any clearer. But I don't (I think) want to outright ban all forms of hybrid influences here and there, and that leaves me in a place where I have to explain really strange exceptions and extra minirules.
We'll see when I take a harder look at this problem tomorrow. One day, I will learn to anticipate people wanting to make all possible gamemode hybrids at once, today was not that day, the thought of doing anything like it never crosses my mind.

So yeah, tomorrow I will take a harder look at the rules and update where it's needed.

Last edited:

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Literally every idea I have had has been shot down as too revolutionary.

The problem you're having is that you're trying to fit a square brick through a triangle slot.
There's nothing wrong with the square brick, it just doesn't go in there<this competition>.

You need to think "Payload" first and foremost, and not "My-new-version-of-payload-that-has-never-been-done-before"
This is not a catch-all competition for everything involving tracks and carts.

Mar 23, 2010
this is a great contest. im proud of you tf2m staff. showing the rest of the terrible groups with their terrible admins who is the best -tf2maps.net. THE #1 TEAM FORTRESS 2 MAPPING COMMUNITY SITE.

would it be allowed to have a capture point(s) that control the map in some way? i.e. cart speed, opening doors, etc.. im guessing yes.

Last edited: