Steam Workshop Rotation

Geit

💜 I probably broke it 💜
aa
May 28, 2009
Our servers are now using Steam Workshop rotations when they're not being used for Impromptus or Gamedays.

The current rotation is:
You can subscribe to all the maps in our rotation using the workshop collection I've made here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=635101216
If you have a map on the workshop that's of reasonable quality, or is trending on the workshop and people need a place to play it, post in this thread and I'll review it and get it added to our rotation.

We'd also be obliged if you could sneak in a steam://connect/eu.tf2maps.net (USA: steam://connect/usa.tf2maps.net ) link into your map description somewhere to give the server some advertising. ;)

As usual, suggestions welcome!

Last edited by a moderator:

Consistent

L1: Registered
Jan 30, 2016
I am working on a Mannpower map I made friends with a server host that is willing to host it!
SOO if any of you mappers want to make some mannpower maps let me know I will load it on this server for now!

My goal is to find enough people willing to make mannpower map and just host a custom map server myself or tf2maps to host this sever.
I love mannpower mode the 3 Maps on valve servers were not cutting it for me so here I am mapping!

Jethro

MUSty Complainer
Nov 2, 2009
Problem with Mannpower maps, afaik, is that it's not easy to switch to Mannpower mode in the same rotation as other maps.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
How does this work, as far as local copies? In the server list, they're actually listed as "workshop/[nameofmap].ucg[andsomenumbers]"... do I need to be subscribed to the maps in order to access the server, or will it just forcibly download another copy of maps I already have?

Geit

💜 I probably broke it 💜
aa
May 28, 2009
How does this work, as far as local copies? In the server list, they're actually listed as "workshop/[nameofmap].ucg[andsomenumbers]"... do I need to be subscribed to the maps in order to access the server, or will it just forcibly download another copy of maps I already have?

Yes, It stores another copy if you already have them, no you don't need to be subscribed to the maps to join the server, it works just like a normal server if that's the case.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
What happens if the workshop version is different than the tf2maps version?

I upload from a packed but uncompressed version of my maps to the workshop, but rather than subscribing to my own map and then downloading the compressed version, moving it, and then uploading that to tf2maps, I just make another one and upload that instead.

Probably the wrong way to do it in any case, so I guess I should start doing it differently from now on.

Geit

💜 I probably broke it 💜
aa
May 28, 2009
What happens if the workshop version is different than the tf2maps version?

I upload from a packed but uncompressed version of my maps to the workshop, but rather than subscribing to my own map and then downloading the compressed version, moving it, and then uploading that to tf2maps, I just make another one and upload that instead.

Probably the wrong way to do it in any case, so I guess I should start doing it differently from now on.

I don't believe workshop maps can ever conflict with "real" maps you've installed (they're stored in separate folders on both the server and the client), so any method of releasing your maps should be fine.

Leaf_It

aa
Jul 8, 2015
Would it be possible to have non-workshop showcase maps added to the rotation? I ask because some maps, like Zinkenite aren't on the workshop, and there creator's aren't active anymore. I don't have my own server, and I've never seen that map, and several others, on any custom server. I didn't even know it existed before I made my account here.

killohurtz

Distinction in Applied Carving
aa
Feb 22, 2014
Zinkenite can't be uploaded to the workshop, let alone become official, because its creator is under a non-compete agreement with another developer.

Dec 28, 2014
Zinkenite can't be uploaded to the workshop, let alone become official, because its creator is under a non-compete agreement with another developer.

Yeah it's too bad that happened before he finished it, Zinkenite still needed some work but I would of loved to see it (and it's assets) go official.

MrWhite007

L1: Registered
Apr 12, 2016
This is not the place, get it tested in either a gameday or an impromptu test. The latter of which can be attended by joining our Steam group chat.
I would still like it considered for rotation, if it's possible to have mannpower maps in your rotation. It has been tested. It's just that I'm always looking for as much feedback as I can get.