Silent func_regenerate

Snowshoe

L2: Junior Member
May 16, 2012
I know tr_walkway does this. How is it accomplished? I already have the entities set up, but it still plays the sound.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
To do this (it works for any sound in the game) you make a cp_yourmap_a1_level_sounds.txt and place it in the same directory as your map. The name before _level_sounds.txt must match your map filename. You can pack this file when you're done.

In the level_sounds.txt file, this is all you need:

Code:
"Regenerate.Touch"
{
"channel""CHAN_ITEM"
"volume""VOL_NORM"
"soundlevel""SNDLVL_NONE"
"pitch""PITCH_NORM"
"wave""vo/null.wav"
}

It changes the Regenerate.Touch sound into a null.wav (quiet soundfile).

If you set it up correctly this will stop the regenerate sound (it stops ALL regenerate sound though, you can't differentiate).

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
wait hang on can you also use this to change sounds

because if so then this. changes. EVERYTHING

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
Yes you can change everything, from the lines classes say including their grunts of pain (useful for jump maps to shut the soldier up), to the announcer herself (for "pre-baked lines").

Just find the entry in the sounds_manifest file that's in the gcf to override on your map.

Mar 23, 2013
OMFG, I needed to know that earlier O_O
I was overwriting the soundfiles all the time by packing them in the map, at the cost that the overwritten sound files still apply for players on the next map.
But this is waaay better! :D

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I'm guessing this is what people have been using to override the game-end fanfares and such?

Hmm, OK, the files in question are actually called game_sounds_*.txt and are divided up by type. Easy enough to fiddle with. Looks like I might be able to mess with impact sounds as well, good to know... I also happened across a file called surfaceproperties_manifest, and it got me to wondering whether it would be possible to override the default surface impact decals as well somehow.

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
koth_megaman makes liberal use of this technique

Namieo

L1: Registered
Mar 3, 2013
So wait, could you use this to change the sounds played when players walk on surfaces? Being able to silence the sound walking on water makes would be incredibly useful for me.

Snowshoe

L2: Junior Member
May 16, 2012
Ah, that's how I think Egan was able to do that April Fools map where everything was NOPE

Not very known/Not very used feature.