Sandy Shoals

CP Sandy Shoals a2

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Sandy Shoals is an attack/defense Control Point map set in a warm, sandy sort of place. Not much to say about it yet, but my goal with this map is to make a solid, polished map that feels fresh and different while retaining the feel of a TF2 map.

So far it's just a single stage with two points, but I'll be expanding it - either into three stages, or into one bigger stage. Not sure yet.

Last edited:

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
The forums don't seem to want me to upload screenshots at the time so here's a couple

cp_sandyshoals_a10007.jpg

cp_sandyshoals_a10006.jpg

cp_sandyshoals_a10008.jpg

cp_sandyshoals_a10009.jpg

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Alpha 2 released.

Changelog:
cp_sandyshoals_a2 - Alpha 2 (24/07/14)
General:
- Removed some health and ammo.
- Removed the slide door from BLU spawn for now, may add other measures of cover.
- Attempted to fix only one RED spawn point working.
- Skybox texture changed to default TF2 for now.
- Spectator cameras fixed.
Stage 1 A:
- Changed A's capture time from 3 to 4 seconds.
- Shrunk the cave doors going from A to B in stage 1.
- Closed a gap in a piece of cover overlooking stage 1 A.
Stage 1 A-B Connector:
- Changed the connector between stage 1 A and B. It should be a little more simple now, and doesn't require BLU to walk really far to get to their drop-down. It should also provide a more advantageous exit to B for BLU.
Stage 1 B:
- Added lights to the building next to B.
- Added glass to some of the windows in this building.
- Removed the platform stretching across B. It made everything very cluttered.
- Moved point 1 B up a level and simplified the structure. It should be a little safer to cap.
- Moved RED's spawn a little to match up a little better with BLU's new exit.

BZ2: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72855021/maps/cp_sandyshoals_a2.bsp.bz2

Shogun

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 31, 2014
Hi Umbratile. After playing this map during the impromptu today, Sandy Shoals received a lot of criticism and not much useful feedback. I walked around the map myself and took some screenies of some of the areas which people found troublesome during the game.

The biggest complaint by far was the walking distance from Red's spawn to point A. The scenario was that if most of Red team died, Blu could easily cap A before Red spawns had time to make it back to A and set up a new defense. One idea was to make a shortcut that bypassed the A/B connector to allow Red to quickly return to A after respawning. Another idea was to add a forward spawn.

HWoKRMl.jpg

This sightline allowed Blue snipers to shoot from the safety of their spawn right onto anyone unlucky enough to be standing on the A cap. It shouldn't be a hard fix.

oZCDzz3.jpg

Overall, Red had a hard time defending any position, especially A. This ledge allowed Blu team to walk right out of their spawn and spam down at Red, killing anyone in the low area and doing quite a bit of damage to the alcove on the right, which was one of the few sentry spots on the entire map.

nDKNy3N.jpg

Just something I noticed, I thought I could jump up hear because it was so low, and I was surprised when I couldn't. Maybe raise this cliff or add a fence so it's less confusing.

MUwopL2.jpg

Sorry for the long post, but I really had a fun time on this map and I want to give it the feedback it deserves. Hopefully you'll find at least some of this useful when updating the map!

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I have definitely started a brush-based rock trend haven't I?

And I am loving the results

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
P3KudOv.png