1. Hey Guest, welcome to the new forums. Be sure to check out this thread to get all the information you need on the cool new stuff!

Voting is now open for the Dynamic Control Point Contest! Voting ends on the 23rd, so make sure you join us on the servers to play the entries, and cast your vote before then.

Click here to head to the voting thread!

Texture sand?

Discussion in 'Models & Textures' started by Pink_Panther, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Pink_Panther

Pink_Panther L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Unfortunatly I really need a tan colored sand texture that looks decent. The only ones in the defaults are 'sandfloor010a' (blackish color), 'ground_06' (pinkish), and 'dirtground001' (good color, but grainy).

This is definatly when I miss the ease of textures with HL1. get an texture of the net, put it in a wad, incorporate it into the bsp on compile.

Anyone out there have one or know of a good tutorial on how to make them for HL2?

Phil

[moderator merge]

Well, i ripped the 'nature/sandfloor010a' out of the HL2 folder. Converted it to greyscale with Irfranview, opened it with Wally (for those that remember it) and modified the color pallete a few times to see what I could get out of it. Overall, there are 6 tanish colored variations.

Enjoy.

http://www.pinksrealm.com/files/tan_sandfloor010.zip

[​IMG]

(yea, i know i stole their image. im very very naughty)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2009
  2. Zeewier

Zeewier L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Try Photoshop

It's very easy to change a color of an image with PS :)

3. Spike

Spike L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm making a tropical map with a beach and the TF2 ground texture looks very well. Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

4. Pink_Panther

Pink_Panther L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    i was going for a desert feel. so it needed to be a little 'sun bleached'. also, because there was so much of that texture, the grainyness really got harsh. Plus i found that it was too colorful for what I was going for.

and, thats a very pretty map your making there.