Request: MOAR APLINE!

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

L10: Glamorous Member
Apr 12, 2008
Heh, enough of that. Anyways, its great that we have a new environment, and I love that we already have some altered stock textures to go with it (ie, the alpine rock one right below this, or the alpine rock models). However, if you look, there are several different types of rocks in the stock textures (sandstone like). It would be great if someone could alter, or make brand new, rock textures along those lines. That way you could, say, have a mine shaft and not have a sudden transition between gray rock and brownish rock. Many thanks to whoever would do this, and I'm already coming up with ways to use something like this in a map.

cornontheCoD

L420: High Member
Mar 25, 2008
^okkkkk..........

anyways, I would like to see this too. I would do it, but I don't know a thing about modeling.

III_Demon

L2: Junior Member
Sep 28, 2008
btw, i found an extremely easy way to do this. if you're just looking to convert the existing textures, all you need to do is make a new .vmt with a $color setting. the one i tried looks like this:

"LightmappedGeneric"
{
"$color" "[0.3 0.5 1.0]"

"$basetexture" "Nature/rockwall001"
"$bumpmap" "Nature/rockwall001_normal"
"%keywords" "tf"
"$surfaceprop" "dirt"
"$detail" "overlays/detail004"
"$detailscale" "1.2"
"$detailblendmode" "0"
"$detailblendfactor" "1"
}

i saved that as rockwall001-blue.vmt, and it works great.

the only drawback i've found is the new material only shows up properly in hammer if '3d textured', not '3d shaded textured' is set in the hammer 3d viewport, otherwise you dont see the tint, you just see the original texture color.

on the plus side, its extremely easy to do, much easier than converting a bunch of .vtfs with photoshop or whatever. if you use more than one variation (ie the original rockwall001, and the tinted rockwall001) in the same map, it may also save texture memory, but i'm just guessing on that. it'll definitely cut down map file size.