1. Hey Guest, welcome to the new forums. Be sure to check out this thread to get all the information you need on the cool new stuff!
  2. If the download for the map you're looking at isn't here, try checking the archives over at: The Archived Forum

KotH Refinery

Discussion in 'Map Workshop' started by MetalKev, Mar 6, 2012.

1. MetalKev

MetalKev L2: Junior Member

Thanks Received:
    First map I've designed. I'm looking for feedback on obvious flaws in design and some testing so I can optimize and beautify the map after I know it plays reasonably well.
    I'm brand new to the community too, so if I make a faux pas don't hesitate to tell me.

2. Tarry H Sruman

aa Tarry H Sruman Large Orphanage Proprietor

Thanks Received:
    Looks decent for a first map; can't see many of the typical first map flaws. However, looks like there's a pretty big sightline in the last screenshot. Throw it up for testing, but please please please make sure the entities are fully functional first.

3. Jeremy

Jeremy L10: Glamorous Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm not sure if having a full healthpack in the middle of a big empty and (probably) easily accessible room is a good idea.

Terwonick thanked this.
  4. MetalKev

MetalKev L2: Junior Member

Thanks Received:
    The healthpack is located in a bunker underneath the main point, equidistant from the spawns. The idea I was going for was that it'll be a contested area so nabbing it won't be safe (like the health room on koth_lakeside) and that people can jump down to the bunker entrance to get it easily, but in doing so need to walk a fair distance to get back to the control point, making the health both easily accessible but ultimately inconvenient.
    I don't know how well it'll work in practice but that was my theory.

5. Tarry H Sruman

aa Tarry H Sruman Large Orphanage Proprietor

Thanks Received:
    Good to see someone who put some degree of planning into their first map.

6. Terwonick

Terwonick L6: Sharp Member

Thanks Received:
    From just the screenshots I suggest that you add in cubemaps, other than that good job

7. Ezekel

Ezekel L10: Glamorous Member

Thanks Received:
    just a headsup: the name refinery i already taken by arena_refinery. just saying

8. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Thanks Received:
    This was a really interesting map, but I think it has some big flaws to it. A lot of the corridors and doorways are really small. It feels very convoluted at times, and there are a lot of jumps. I played scout most of the time, so it wasn't as big of a hassle for me, but I'm sure the other classes weren't having as easy of a time.

I think you mapped the gameplay affecting brushwork too small in general. It has lots of paths everywhere, but they are all very cramped. It's like the problems with micro-detailing, except for gameplay elements. If that makes sense.