CP process

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
It started with a general idea put forward by a comp player regarding the best points in valve 5cp maps, but with a slight alteration.

Which? I uh, can't tell. Last looks kinda like Well, mid looks kinda like Granary, 2nd is kinda like... ???

Aug 23, 2008
Which? I uh, can't tell. Last looks kinda like Well, mid looks kinda like Granary, 2nd is kinda like... ???

You got the first two, 2nd is meant to be (roughly) spire at badlands. Its the most different of all of them, and like I said, they are all fairly remixed, but it has a lot of the same elements.

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
Wilson: I probably could make push map real quick, there isn't that serious contestants besides Gerbil.
Evant: Look at the contest entry area
Wilson: Scorpio is entering?
Wilson: Fuck this shit, i am out!

Yeah, i also take back what i said about Gailee.

Moose

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 4, 2009
Also me, super, hanz, nova, blob, rexy, fubar, yyler, absurdist, and some other guys.

2nd looks sort of linear, and mid's capture zone reminds me a LOT of what I originally wanted to do with tempest. I had a wide capture zone like you do, with half of each side open to the other team. People didn't like it much, but I don't know how it'll turn out for you.

EDIT: oh

Last edited:

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
Also me, super, aly, hanz, nova, blob, rexy, fubar, yyler, absurdist, and some other guys.

I was on about lack of contestants on the symmetric side of this contest. (Also Aly quit the contest not too long ago)

The_Ulf

L6: Sharp Member
May 26, 2009
I really like the look of the last point! Though that balcony on top of what I assume to be the spawn door might be a real annoying sentry nest if it's in range of the invader entrances to the area.

Aug 23, 2008
I really like the look of the last point! Though that balcony on top of what I assume to be the spawn door might be a real annoying sentry nest if it's in range of the invader entrances to the area.

As far as I can tell, its not within range. And, i've tried to have enough cover (the pillars + panels around the room) so teams can spam from multipile angles, confusing the sentries. We'll see how that works out. One thing I might have to do is to make the distance between the spawn rooms and the ramps up to the ledge larger.

waxpax

L5: Dapper Member
Feb 25, 2011
You got the first two, 2nd is meant to be (roughly) spire at badlands. Its the most different of all of them, and like I said, they are all fairly remixed, but it has a lot of the same elements.

OMG! You built Sigma's idea of the perfect map! I will be checking this out soon....ish.

waxpax

L5: Dapper Member
Feb 25, 2011
Pugged this map tonight, I really enjoyed it. Maybe move some of the health packs a bit and give defenders some height advantage to help defend/push last from 1-2 and it might work even better, the way it is, you can just sort of spam from the "spire" and shut the defenders out from 2.

http://www.mediafire.com/?j17frd5a9h9o4jv

You can get stuck in this rock between 3 and 2

The other medic wanted a ramp or something here on last so that rolling out right side would be more viable/easier

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
The map was difficult to push out from last because both exits at CP2 were at a disadvantagious points for defenders. Not to mention they get locked in behind the door by stickies. Too much back capping occured at mid-CP2. Successful counter-attacks to take CP2 were all too frequently met by a cap race between CP2 and mid where CP2 all too often get retaken.

As a result of this and what seemed like hellishly long spawn waves for defenders (regardless of whether they were taken from an official map, this map was larger and more linear than most and this should be taken into consideration), capturing the middle near-garaunteed the (eventual) win. The only question was how decisive the initial battle was and whether the attackers could stack their capture (easy with a spy cap) and slaughter the enemy spawn wave with a rediculous spawn wave advantage before they new what happened.

Allow defenders a better chance to counter attack CP2, i would suggest raising the central flank exit into the CP2 area.

Cut some sightlines at mid that allow one exit to directly see the opposing side. Snipers could all too easily take out medics coming out the base doorways.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2008
The map was difficult to push out from last because both exits at CP2 were at a disadvantagious points for defenders. Not to mention they get locked in behind the door by stickies. Too much back capping occured at mid-CP2. Successful counter-attacks to take CP2 were all too frequently met by a cap race between CP2 and mid where CP2 all too often get retaken.

As a result of this and what seemed like hellishly long spawn waves for defenders (regardless of whether they were taken from an official map, this map was larger and more linear than most and this should be taken into consideration), capturing the middle near-garaunteed the (eventual) win. The only question was how decisive the initial battle was and whether the attackers could stack their capture (easy with a spy cap) and slaughter the enemy spawn wave with a rediculous spawn wave advantage before they new what happened.

Allow defenders a better chance to counter attack CP2, i would suggest raising the central flank exit into the CP2 area.

Cut some sightlines at mid that allow one exit to directly see the opposing side. Snipers could all too easily take out medics coming out the base doorways.

Just checked the map, spawn times were fuxored. Had like a -5 adjustment on the second and a -3 on the mid.

Aug 23, 2008
Updated to A2. Started working on some detail work on the areas I feel most confident about (only a month or two to complete this so better to start early).

Plenty of changes from A1. Fixed the spawns (the defaults from the pack I was using were -5 and -3, creating very unfriendly play at last for pubbers). Added more health and ammo throughout the map. Added a catwalk area near second, to give defenders there some support.

Changelog A2:

- Adjusted spawn and capture times.
- Changed ramp layout at last, should make for some better rollouts.
- Added an additional exit leading to the catwalks at second.
- New catwalk at second, connects a lot of the map overall.
- Health and ammo moved for the rollout to mid, should give demo some support.
- Added health to middle, two small packs around the point. Also, moved the medium to a more central position, to help favor left or right rollouts.
- Changed the pipe connector, adding health and making it more compact.
- Slight detail work at middle.

Aug 23, 2008
Updated to A3.

Changelog:

- Changes to spawn exits. Hopefully will help with rollouts and final defense.
- Slight changes to layout at last. Moved the point back a bit, made the path to the upper ledge a bit longer, reworked the pillar layout, moved the right side up, changed the direction for the door leading to battlments.
- Spire is now more spirery(?). Increased the height of the spire. Changed the ramps to pipes.
- Removed the second rollout to middle. Teams rolling to middle should pass by spire, and then through the primary choke. Should help with the pacing of the middle fight, giving the med an opportunity to space themselves out a bit more without immediately coming under spam fire.
- Removed one exit to middle to help alleviate flank attacks.
- Some more detailing at middle.