1. Hey Guest, welcome to the new forums. Be sure to check out this thread to get all the information you need on the cool new stuff!

Portal 2 - Perpetual Testing Initiative (May 8'th)

Discussion in 'Games Talk' started by PMAvers, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Micnax

aa Micnax L0: Terribly Lazy Mapper

Thanks Received:
    Well you have a point of such, it would be useful to have a tool like this to create a very rough and basic blocky version of a map using the editor and then build around it in Hammer, and it's automatically mirrored along a central axis etc...

2. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Thanks Received:
    I doubt it. Tf2 is all about the curves and displacements. More likely it's extending the steam workshop to maps or raid mode.

3. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Thanks Received:
    I think what you're thinking is something like sketch-up but with a vmf plugin.

4. LeSwordfish

Thanks Received:
    If this exports as .vmfs, there's not much reason why we couldn't block out tf2 layouts in it. Just remove the ents, convert textures to dev textures and skybox...

There we go YM. Another plugin idea, something that does that automatically.

5. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Thanks Received:
    It doesn't export to vmf, it saves to vmf.

But yes I guess you could in theory use this to block out TF2 maps. You'd need to manually rotate/mirror the map and as you say swap out textures and add entities.

Though it doesn't seem hugely worthwhile since there's no way to add geometry smaller than 64 units, which happen a lot in TF2

And JFYI I'm not turning into some kind of plugin generating machine. I made one tool that I plan to expand a little.

6. LeSwordfish

Thanks Received:
    I meant, like, if you were in search of other ideas.

And you can lay out a hell of a lot of a map on a 64hu grid. IIRC jackal was on a 64 grid almost entirely until I added the walkways. I also made a arena map without dropping below 64.

7. PMAvers

PMAvers L6: Sharp Member

Thanks Received:
  8. Trotim

aa Trotim

Thanks Received:
    Portal 2 66% off and with way more replay value, might actually buy it now

9. stevethepocket

aa stevethepocket I can fix it!

Thanks Received:
    Ugh, don't remind me. I bought this game for my cousin back during I guess the Christmas sale, because I had recommended the original to her back when it was briefly free and she loved it, and never got around to giving it to her. So I could have waited until now and saved six bucks without anyone losing out on anything.

Trotim thanked this.
  10. PMAvers

PMAvers L6: Sharp Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh man, at the very minimum I love all the new Cave lines they added for the PTI. There's something like 25-30 minutes worth.

It gets pretty :O after a while.

Also, Chariots Chariots.

11. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Thanks Received:
    I like the alternate universe Caves. Particularly the one that tells you to fight Manmen.

12. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Thanks Received:
    So tonight poking around for the second time, I discovered you aren't chell... I must say. That is my favorite part of this whole thing now.

Micnax thanked this.
  13. LeSwordfish

Thanks Received:
    Something that's occurred to me... Cave Prime and his original universe... Is obviously a different one to the one where Glados has taken over.