Pit of Death?

Ducky Quackington

L1: Registered
May 28, 2016
Hello, I wanted to make a pit of death (The ones that makes your class scream as you fall) but I could not find what the trigger name is anywhere. Could I maybe get some help? Thanks!

seth

aa
May 31, 2013
It's not a specific trigger, just a trigger_multiple that activates the voice lines.

d606ac9864.png

Next time, try to find your answer in decompiled Valve maps. You can download them here or decompile them yourself using BSPSrc.

Powerlord

L3: Member
May 8, 2010
Where would one locate the parameters that can be used for SpeakResponseConcept? I see "HalloweenLongFall" but I can't find it in any game sound TXTs.

SpeakResponseConcept uses the files in the tf2_misc_dir.vpk, specifically in the scripts/talker/ directory.

In a few files (response_rules.txt and events.txt specifically), you'll see "Concept" in quotes in various criterion lines.

The text immediately to the right of these are concepts you can get the game to say, such as "TLK_CART_MOVING_FORWARD", "TLK_ROCKET_DESTOYED", "TLK_PLAYER_SKELETON_KING_APPEAR", or "HalloweenLongFall"

Note that not all concepts apply to all classes (such as "TLK_GRAB_BALL" which is said when a Scout recovers a Sandman Ball).

The game will just ignore it if it doesn't apply (as no response rules will match it).

Last edited:

Powerlord

L3: Member
May 8, 2010
Oh perfect, so I can start experimenting with setting up talk response areas in my maps, and mess around with talk responses in sourcemod plugins (because I saw a plugin recently that adds in spoken lines for item drops), and I'll know that if I don't hear any voice lines in certain cases, something isn't working right. Decent, boys!
I keep the game_sound files and talker files in my tf2-data repository so people don't need to extract them themselves.

Also, since I know you're a plugin developer, plugins can also manipulate the sound system.