Panic

PLR Panic b2

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
gameday

I kept crashing so I couldnt get into the game for more than a minute. And then the server crashed....

Anyway, I believe people got to play all stages once atleast. So what did you think of it?

littleedge

L1111: Clipping Guru
aa
Mar 2, 2009

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
This was the first time I've played it and it was really fun.

SS-2009.07.25-17.46.08.jpg

There was some weirdness when we won Stage 2. The cart started rolling back for some reason. D:

Last edited:

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Littleedge: 1. gah, I was too busy rebuilding stage 2 to remember that :p 2. doesnt look like that for me, Thanks!

Psy: That's odd, never had that happen when I quicktested before pakratting. I'll take a look at it.

Sgt.Sausage

L420: High Member
Dec 5, 2008
I played both sides twice i believe in gameday on all 3 stages> It played great and i love all the special starts to the rounds on each stage.

I dont have to many complains or suggestions right now. The last stage is fun, i like it better than pipeline in some ways because their is the house in the middle so its less sniper friendly and easier to push kart.

PMAvers

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 29, 2008
Dunno if anyone's pointed it out, but the debris from the "wall explosion" in round 2 sticks around, and isn't solid. You can hide stickies inside them currently.

PMAvers

Jan 29, 2008
Ran it a bit on my server tonight, and ran into the "roll-back" thing on Stage 2 as well.

It looks like everything on RED's track starting with the hill on is marked somehow as a "roll-back" section, not just the hill.

BLU's cart, on the other hand, didn't seem to have the problem. If it got pushed to the top of the hill and then stalled, it'd stick up there like it should.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Thanks PMAvers!
About the wall: It's an alpha explosion, I didnt bother with collision models, because I was having troubles to even get it working in the first place (I'm new to modeling). I'll just have to hope its not exploited too much before I get around to fixing it.

cart: Thanks for the confirmation, I'll get right on it.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Oh, I almost forgot. Is there any particular reason why there isn't rollback at the cap on the first 2 stages?

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
I want the rounds to go by fast. Having a last hill of rollback will open an oppertunity to defend and then suddenly you have a fortified capture point, only one team has enough power to attack, while the defenders can just drag the round on for a very long time.

It's not an interesting battle, since its basically a/d but without any win condition for the defenders.

However, if there are no rollbacks there, offence is the best defence. And that helps me achieve the fast rounds I wished for :)

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
alpha 5 released.

Fixed the crashing caused by too many edicts.
I also made some custom particles for stage 2.
Quick detailing on stage 1.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Gameday bump!

A lot of the voice chat got tuned out in the constant explosion/minigun noise :)
I'm gonna have to re-listen in the sourceTV demo.

uma plata

Jan 20, 2009
A lot of fun

Pretty hectic, seems like you're getting attacked from all sides, but hey, it's called panic for a reason, right?

I really like the creative use of cart rollback. Lighting/details were great

One of my favorite PLRs so far. Nothing really to suggest at this point

Cpt. Axle

L1: Registered
Jul 20, 2009
When this map was up on Game day, the server seemingly keeled over part ways through the session. Anyways, the point of this post is that I was treated with a pretty awesome image:

1f928a1c3df4a09740c5c81d445e1f33.png

The boys over at the valve forum cleaned off my HUD for me. I figured I should pass it over to you since it'd probably make a nice scenic addition for panic's screen shot collection. :D

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Looks cool axle :)

Gamedahy bump btw.

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
Yeah, this was a huge amount of fun. The only critcism I have is that you could maybe make it clearer that people can lose the third stage by losing their cart, too, and I don't particularly like the map's name, although that's a matter of taste.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
My only complaint is the cart being "lost" off the end of the final stage. Sure, it's a funny mechanic, it's original, and looks neat, but...

I just don't think it'll fly when it comes to public play.

At the very least, the third stage should (like the others) have some set-up time for people to orient themselves. You could place the bombs much further ahead and have them roll back so that they're at their starting postitions when the doors open.

Edit: Suggestion: When players are near to falling into the bottomless pit on stage 3, you can put a trigger that will change their fog-controller to one that ensures anything more than X units below them is fogged to black. You'll still want the existing semi-transparent slices for long distances, but it might make the "deepness" effect more detailed up-close.

Last edited:

BrokenTripod

L5: Dapper Member
May 11, 2009
I think it would be pretty cool if you could add some warning lights or sounds (Uh, in the spawn?) or something that informs the team whose cart is about 1/4 of the way from the end of the track to HURRY UP and push the cart. I'm not sure if there's a good announcer voice clip for this, but it would be cool if you implemented some way to inform new players that that cart MUST be pushed.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
I think it would be pretty cool if you could add some warning lights or sounds (Uh, in the spawn?) or something that informs the team whose cart is about 1/4 of the way from the end of the track to HURRY UP and push the cart. I'm not sure if there's a good announcer voice clip for this, but it would be cool if you implemented some way to inform new players that that cart MUST be pushed.

A good idea. Shouldn't be hard to implement.

In other news: I'm suddenly very busy and have barely any mapping time these days. I'm trying very hard to get my other map (system) into beta as soon as possible to then stir up some panic again. I haven't actually played a session of tf2 in a long time because I take every oppertunity to map when I can :)