Panic

PLR Panic b2

Sebhael

L1: Registered
Jun 10, 2009
That's awesome. I don't know if the antenna is bad though, would have to see an in-game shot of it first.

Since most things look a lot different out of hammer, you know :p

Drexer

L2: Junior Member
Jun 23, 2009
You do realize you've just made a lot of mappers suddenly feel inadequate with this, don't you...

How long until everyone thinks of adding a giant laser to their map?

But yeah, it's awesome.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
I compiled and released alpha2.

Major changes:
Stage 3 added (final stage)
Somewhat brighter in stage 2.
Added a passage between sides in stage 1.

Bug fixes:
Carts blocking eachother in stage 2 middle crossing (hopefully).

There was tons of things to fix in the entire map, but the camera fov bug got too annoying and I just focused on getting stage 3 'ready' (read: barely working) for gameday.

Since the download section is under maintenance*, you can get the map at: http://213.115.191.55/~ravidge/plr_panic_a2.zip

Be sure to complain about everything unsatisfactory :p

*not anymore, and the file is now uploaded here aswell.

Last edited:

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Pictures:
stage1
Team_Fortress_2-2009.06.26-23.00.32.jpg

stage2
Team_Fortress_2-2009.06.26-23.02.25.jpg

stage3
Team_Fortress_2-2009.06.26-22.59.32.jpg

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
What's changed in Stage 1? :p

I added a path to bypass the crossing, previously everyone had to move through there to get to the enemy. It worked but it felt a little chaotic. So now there is A choice :)

Screenshot wise, I think its the exact same as a1, except I added a env_sun.

PMAvers

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 29, 2008
Played a2 a good amount today.

Holy crap, that third stage. :D I did like how there was a actual advantage to people winning the first two rounds, and the whole "if the bomb rolls backwards too far, it falls off the track and you lose" thing went over quite well with the players.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Thanks for playing at gameday people, I know it got a late spot again and a lot of people were sick of everything TF2 when it loaded :).

I'll definatley have to work on getting stage 3 more intesnse but not have devolve into a spamfest (like pipeline :D).
I want the stage to go either way (as in up or down), and I might do some drastic changes in the cart pushing and rollback speeds.

How did you guys feel about the map? was each game too short? did you feel like a comback was possible? enough health and ammo in the stages?

Look forward to a3 :)
The amount of feedback is directly proportional to the update rate!

Feb 14, 2008
I specced a little while. Looked like stage 3 was a little easy for the team with the advantage, then again, I guess that's why you have the advantage.

N.B. the teams were scrambled afterwards, so maybe it wasn't that easy

PMAvers

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 29, 2008
If we're talking about "comebacks", the team that lost the first two rounds went and won the final round.

So, it's not a guarantee for a win.

Apr 13, 2009
I still think 1 point per round is the way to go for plr, but here it really gives you an advantage in round 3.

Pretty good ideas, I think (almost) everyone loved the cart that crushes you before round 1 and the cart falling to its doom in round 3. I did, at least. :)

Concerning the map layout itself, I have no comments to make, it seemed fine, interesting, and balanced for every class. We saw very little use of medics but I think the lateness of the map in the gameday caused everyone to go a little "w+1" inside.

One thing you may want to do is add some props or small heights here and there to allow heavies to jump on the cart. Though there are places where you actually can fall on it, I think it's nice to have a heavy on the cart during setup.

Some of 'setup gates' (referring to the props used, they are actually respawn room doors, I think) go through the roof ad pop up on the other side.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
You can jump on the cart if you crouch-jump whilst facing the nose of the cart. At least that's my experience in every other Payload map. :)

I really wish I was able to play this. Stage 3 seems to be a really interesting concept.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
I enjoyed that each round was as short as they were--the major thing I dislike about pipeline is that it gets so lengthy, and I end up wanting to quit because the map goes for so long.

But visually the map is very strong, and it plays well, being concise and compact without feeling cramped.

Rasputin

L3: Member
Sep 20, 2008
I can't be bothered to get a picture of it but at the 2nd stage, one of the setup gates gives you the impression that you can easily jump over it yet you can't. Add something there that lets the player know that you cannot jump over it yet.

Overall, I really liked this map. A bit more cover would be nice but otherwise, stupendous job.