1. Hey Guest, welcome to the new forums. Be sure to check out this thread to get all the information you need on the cool new stuff!

MVM Gameplay/Server info

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by tyler, Aug 14, 2012.

1. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Thanks Received:
    This is all from Fletcher Dunn on the HLDS mailing list, because I know not everyone is subscribed.

TLDR: MVM is mission based, not map based, and players can "create their own" and "it's easier than making a new map". Servers use more CPU than a 24 man game and need to be launched with a separate command and with 32 maxplayers. Putting MVM maps into a PVP mapcycle will totally mess your server up, don't do it.

Emphasis mine.

How we gonna test this shit? Dag, yo.

Boylee, Amidio, Egan and 5 others thanked this.
  2. tyler

Thanks Received:
    12:54 PM - ForbiddenDonut: I don't really understand the mission based, not map based.
    12:55 PM - Randdalf: it says there that the missions are like, what is in each wave of enemies
    12:55 PM - Randdalf: you play the missions on MvM geared maps
    12:55 PM - ForbiddenDonut: ah okay
    12:55 PM - yyler ☂: i wonder if "creating a mission" means you can share them like maps
    12:55 PM - yyler ☂: workshop functionality?
    12:55 PM - ForbiddenDonut: can a mapmaker set these or is it player choice
    12:55 PM - Randdalf: basically, the map is just some kind of area, and then you can make missions to play on it seperately
    12:55 PM - Randdalf: yeah
    12:55 PM - Matt: yyler: I wouldn't be surprised
    12:56 PM - Randdalf: I'd hope so, and I'd hope for map workshop too
    12:56 PM - Randdalf: tbh though, there's not a lot of variety in putting missions on the workshop if it's literally just configuring what's in each wave
    12:56 PM - ForbiddenDonut: because it's kind of pointless for me to map for a mode without being able to dictate how the waves operate lol

3. ardysqrrl

ardysqrrl Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    you probably shouldn't have included that last line from forbiddendonut now people are gonna think he's a big baby

Yacan1 and Prestige thanked this.
  4. Dr. Element

aa Dr. Element My asylum gave up and asked me to scram

Thanks Received:
    Even tho it's mission based, aren't we able to create maps for it anyways?

Custom missions on custom maps will definitely have an edge over missions on valve maps.

5. henke37

henke37 Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    So, do we have spare servers to meet the demand? It's usually fine to just have one full 24 player server, but this is going to require four servers just to reach our usual player count.

6. tyler

Thanks Received:
    Testing MvM and how and on what server is probably a question better left to be answered in a week or two.

7. henke37

henke37 Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, but everyone here is going to want to play it right at launch time. And they are probably going to want to play on their favorite server (our server).

8. Prestige

aa Prestige March 2009: Diagnosed with "The Gay"

Thanks Received:
    noses

[​IMG]

9. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR I do things sometimes.

Thanks Received:
    Which won't be possible since we're a 24 man server.