***Mapping contest 05 - Payload map***

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
Sadly i was already working on a single stage pl_ map but in my map both teams can push the map. i guess thats not good for the contest as i think it counts as a gametype mix.

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
^ Aye ill do news for it later today.

AWESOME-O

L10: Glamorous Member
Mar 20, 2008
"Map must follow conventions laid out by valve (... no gimmicks)"

Mining/Industrial is TF2.

Mining/Industrial/Alpine right?
Otherwise you guys just completely ruined my layout :p (Wich i came up with in school, so i have atleast something to do at school :p)

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Important: Mining/industrial?

Conventions followed by valve is all that really needs to be said on this one, desert mining, desert industrial, desert farm, alpine, or any other naming method you wish to use for the style of the official maps.
Basically no orange maps, no bright custom textures like mario karts or cyberpunk. Using HL2 textures is totally up to you (not EP 2 textures though, they've got to be in the tf2/shared GCF files or custom since using textures from other games is rocky ground) but obvious use of non-tf2 content is discouraged since it will impact negatively on voting.

Since mangy posted the decompiled badwater I'd just like to clarify that using bits from other maps isn't allowed, unless you happen to have made the map in question yourself. Since we aren't remaking badwater, use it as a guide but remember yours should be unique.

Glad theres a lot of interest in this, looking forward to seeing what people can make.

Also, huge thanks to DP for supplying prizes :D

Feb 14, 2008
*Lightbulb*

Hmm... an arctic payload map :)

Lotsa displacements :)

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Working with someone else is allowed, however you'll have to share the prize, taking it in turns to wear the teeshirt.....:laugh:

Armadillo of Doom

Group Founder, Lover of Pie
aa
Oct 25, 2007
Hmm, what a huge bit of luck. This is exactly what my current project is about, so it seems I have a small head start :p

Not sure I'll manage to finish it by the end of the year, but I'll give it a damn good try now!

I'm in the same position. Got an old map that I could easily clean up and convert to payload. Shiny new posters, here I come!

Jan 31, 2008
I'm working on a 2-stage pl map at the moment.
Are we allowed to submit a map with multiple stages; or will I have to submit one of the stages as one map? :p

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Youme said:
Map must be a single stage pl_ map (like pl_badwater) you may use any number of control points (1-4)

So.. either make a new map or make your map 1 stage.

AWESOME-O

L10: Glamorous Member
Mar 20, 2008
ive beaten you :D

EDIT: I suggest making the term 1 month longer, because the deadline is really close to the holidays

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
2 months for a single stage pl map seems fine to me, though i doubt i'll be taking part in any other competitions whilst doing a second year at university. Or even my own map, though i'll finish avante of course. (i hope).

I Was going to ask something else, but forgot what it was :/

edit: If anything, there could be a playtest at new years at some point, then mappers get 2 weeks or something to tweak their map and submit it. Though i've always hated "interim crits" 2 or 3 days before the actual deadline (for my graphics projects at university), it seems somewhat relavent here.. atleast, if it is to be equally jugded on gameplay as it is for visuals.

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Are contest entries going to be able to request time on the playtest server before the deadline and before submitting?
Of course, kind of a no brainer. As far as I'm aware any map under testing can have air time on that server requested. And I'd certainly not want to accept any maps that haven't been play tested. Testing can be done anywhere, any time on any server so you can put it on FPSB for testing if you so wish.

Am I allowed to make a WIP thread for feedback?
of course

2 months for a single stage pl map seems fine to me.
3 months, october, november, december..... (plus the remainder of september)