Mann Food_a3

PL Mann Food_a3 pl_mann_food_a3

ChuckSpurgeon

L2: Junior Member
Jan 6, 2014
Mann Food - Soylent Gray is made of Mercs!

Blu has discovered that Red's new MRE's, "Soylent Gray," are made of mercs! Join Blu to deliver a bomb and put a stop to their grotesque production. Or, join Red and keep Blu from exposing the secret that...Soylent Gray is made of MERCS!

My first payload map. When this someday moves to art passes, the Soylent Gray storyline will be more apparent. Hoping this first alpha release is playable and holds potential.

Thanks for playing!

ChuckSpurgeon

Jan 6, 2014
Wow! That's amazing!

Thank you for all the feedback--I'll be looking to make changes right away! First attempt at a payload and first time having someone play my map.

I think the only thing that concerns me would be the "overscaled" review. If anyone else plays this map, I'd like to know if you feel, as well, if overscaling is a problem.

Thanks again!

ChuckSpurgeon

Jan 6, 2014
Finally got to watch the demo of this testing. Thank you for the feedback!
  • Sheesh--I really screwed up the Red spawns! Red should be spawning further forward, closer to cp-A, not back on top of cp-B.
  • I'll definitely pull Blu into a forward spawn after cp-B is captured.
  • Am working on a different config of cp-B Red spawn--people didn't like that Red could come out of a door right on top of it.
  • As well (cp-B Red spawn), I'll modify the drop for the flank--I was thinking that Red could drop down to flank Blu's push and that it should cost a little fall damage for the flank-factor, but it doesn't look like you guys saw that trade off. Will fix it. :)
  • Final cp: going to open the cp area up and fix the (absent) explosion.
  • Better signage will also appear.
  • Really wasn't looking to make a intricate, complex pl map, but a dynamic one with shifting doors/routes like pl_snowycoast. I'll keep working on it--the way I have it now, I saw plenty of fights going in back-map places nowhere close to the objective, and that's a clearly map design problem.

ChuckSpurgeon

Jan 6, 2014
Change log:
  • Minor over-scaling complaints in A1--"smallened" much of the map, including a long, confusing first area route, Blu's initial spawn, and other areas.
  • Fixed Red's initial spawn and made routes more clear.
  • Added more signage to make the map more sensible.
  • Deleted several doors which made the map a bit confusing.
  • Added a forward spawn for Blu after capping B.
  • Fixed all Red spawns--no more fall damage upon exiting, as well as moving exits from right on top of capture points.
  • Pulled final capture point out of the "tiny space" by Red final spawn, opened the area around it some, and fixed the capture explosion (now it goes boom!)

Read the rest of this update entry...

ChuckSpurgeon

Jan 6, 2014
Here's some feedback for version _a2:

View: https://youtu.be/zpVLoiRuBQY

Thank you so much, Egan! Really constructive feedback--I'll put it to use.

Wasn't sure how early in Alpha phase most mappers start messing with lighting and displacements--that whole first area actually doesn't have any displacements. :) I just placed the floor as dirt to imply what it would be in the future. I'll get to work on those things, as well as the bad spawns.

The first impromptu test, the Red spawns were simply broken, now--they're just bad. :)

Thanks again--it was my first testing-feedback day and, all throughout, it was enlightening. Learned a lot.

ChuckSpurgeon

Jan 6, 2014
After some very extensive and helpful feedback, here's A3.

• Pushed back back Red spawns, making it take longer for defenders to get to the point.
  • Red's initial spawn now dumps out further away from cp B and sentries should be more easily assaulted.
  • Red's C spawn is now split up into two rooms, with fewer spawn points in the upper room.
  • Expanded the forward Blu spawn and made it harder for Red to camp it.
  • Fixed some clipping in first area.
  • Removed the "big commitment" tunnel exit for Blu's first spawn.
  • Started blocking in displacements for first area...not correctly sewn at this time.
  • Simplified a few flank routes, and added more signs.
  • One or two cosmetic things that mainly serve as place holders for my brain when I enter beta phase.
  • Tried to lessen a few gnarly sniper sight-lines--still a few more to handle.
  • Began adding large brushes to relieve the over-sized feel of various spaces.

Read the rest of this update entry...