koth_greenroof

KotH koth_greenroof A4

Stix

L1: Registered
Sep 25, 2015
koth_greenroof - A roof top garden. "Green thumb? More like Green gun"

I cant say much because there is not much.

I did make a map a while ago but it sucked because it was a snipe-fest. so I made a new map. smaller with 3 levels. the main level (mid / mini-beach) the tunnels (low / Shroom room) and the roof (roof / vents). mid for most classes. low for close quarters and the roof for snipers and mobile classes

Its one big green house on top of a skyscraper / apartment complex penthouse. ALSO if anyone knows how to make models i would like them to get in touch because I want some custom models for health kits and mushrooms n stuff.

Bunbun

aa
May 18, 2014
I'd say that this map is wayy to small, you exit spawn and immediately see the other team exiting their spawn as well, that's noot good.

Stix

Sep 25, 2015
Normally I would note this, but I already know this. thats why I put trapdoors in the spawn and soon a way up to the roof striate from the spawn. and although I will try to make the map longer, this means the tunnels down below will need to be lengthend and makes it more confusing (for Me, you and the new player who is playing their first custom map). that said. Thanks for the feed back as it answers the next guys question and saveing me from repeating it over and over again.

A2 is on the way to fix some stuff and enable the roof!

Stix

Sep 25, 2015
Ok. A2 is out and the lighting has been fixed for a start. the stairs have been removed (thanks Big Boned Scout for telling me about the demo charge surfing issue) and been replaced with ramps. Door detection has been optimized so scouts don't bash their "teeny tiny heads" on the door
and some more stuff has been added (but not much)

-Stix

Read the rest of this update entry...

magical cactus

Oct 4, 2015
I like the shape and look of this so far, i think that it looks a bit like a shopping mall and was wondering if you liked the idea of extending that feel a bit more, just a suggestion anyway, please reply thakyou for making tf2 just a little better you are (probably) a great person

Stix

Sep 25, 2015
You know, a Mall setting isn't all that bad. il make it a CP map when i'm done with this map. thanks for the idea man

ErickShock

Aug 23, 2015
Your idea for the map is good, but you need a lot of refinement on the application. I'll show somethings I think should be tweaked:

There's a lightning bug here.

ABFD887A1C210B415967AC8F3316535F2416D4A2

Brush/texture out of alignment.

08028D76E56E77A438F83DFB8EFE0E676C439B84

This ledge should receive a step and clipping brushes to make easier to walk around (currently you need to jump to get on top, which I think is annoying).

9FFF3BB8E72B0D5EEF8E1297E226D4A98F458C7A

And now, the bottom floor. It's idea is nice, but it doesn't provide good reasons for a player to use it. Sure, you can get access to the other team's spawn, but only this. More flanking routes coming from/to will make it a lot more usable and strategical to the gameplay. And yeah, it's very claustrophobic. In real life it's barely acceptable, but since TF2 doesn't always follow real life proportions, the height there should be doubled (I think it's currently 128 Hu, 256 Hu will be waaaaay better).

5481D917E604417DF30CD97A8CF74770146D3DA1

And you can see the spawn doors from the point. Please, don't make this. It'll be very hard to defend/attack the point if someone can blast in your face from up there when you leave your spawn. Take a look at Valve's maps, usually the spawns are at a reasonable distance from the point, and you can't see it from there. The map on the overall is very small, you really should increase it's length.

Also, keep the info_teamspawns together. Spawning in different places in a KOTH map is, at least, strange. It's more intuitive if you spawn on the same area - this is a preference of mine, but I think many players will agree on this.

So, again, your concept is very nice, but you're not applying it in the right way. As an idea, why don't you make BLU and RED come from adjacent buildings to attack the center building where the point is? This will definetely solve the length problem. I'll be waiting for the next update. I'll also be glad to help more if needed! =)

Last edited:

Stix

Sep 25, 2015
WOW! this was actualy VERY useful and insightfull! thanks for the feed back. Im pleased to say that A2a/A3 is comeing out TONIGHT!
and most of this was already adressed. sutch as the underground area (more reasons to go down there i.e Health and ammo etc etc. the full list will be on the update notes. again. Thanks!

EDIT: Btw I like your solly. looks guuude

Stix

Sep 25, 2015
WOOO! this is a big one!

Ok il do this in dot point to cover the most things I remember on the spot.

NUMBER THE ONE: Lenth increased (Finaly.)

NUMBER THE TWO: added bunkers on each side for protected spawns

NUMBER THE THREE: The one i get nagged at the most. the under ground roof under the spawns are higher and the floor under the point is lower

NUMBER T- Screw that s***.

Lots of lighting issue fixes. and the strange gap in the roof has been fixed. no more leaky roof for you, plants-that-don't-exist-yet! anything I missed is my fault I'm sorry. I don't have a note pad to write stuff down on...Ii should do this...

Anyway. thanks to everyone who has given feed back (yes, that means you.) and downloaded the map in the first place. now if you excuse me. il be building a mini-sentry on plr_hightower

-Stix

Read the rest of this update entry...

ErickShock

Aug 23, 2015
I'm glad to help! I still haven't analyzed A3a, so maybe in a couple of time I'll do a more "deep" feedback if needed. From now on, you may want to frequently test your map with your Steam friends to check what is working and what is not.

EDIT: Btw I like your solly. looks guuude

The Honcho's Headgear really gets along with the Soldier. =D

Stix

Sep 25, 2015
I'm glad to help! I still haven't analyzed A3a, so maybe in a couple of time I'll do a more "deep" feedback if needed. From now on, you may want to frequently test your map with your Steam friends to check what is working and what is not.

Just for the noteworthyness. I do get some friends to help out (mainly Big boned scout, thanks dude!)