How to watch OR Record a Demo TF2

phatal

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 8, 2008
If not enough methods already you could do it this way as well. TF2 directly to AVI with your choice of codec.

host_framerate 30
Startmovie <title> avi <- after you enter this, a box will pop up asking you what codec to use. Once you select it and press ok, depending on the codec chosen you may get another box; set it up the way you want and then go back to the game window
play <demo name> <- After this, wait for the demo to play back. It will seem to playback slowly; this is normal. Once playback has stopped, enter:
endmovie

You now have an AVI ready for editing in the teamfortress folder!

Hawk

L7: Fancy Member
Dec 3, 2007
So if I'm to understand this correctly, I could make a demo of people playing on my map, and then watch it to see how people play on it and react to it? It sounds like the drive tool would let me drive around and watch people. Can you record a demo any time, on any server you're playing?

Paria

L5: Dapper Member
Dec 12, 2007
this video if a really good example of whats possible using the drive tool along with the smoothing options,

[ame="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XRC_P_9rLlM"]YouTube - Team Fortress 2 - On Her Majesty's Secret Service[/ame]

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
OMG thats epic! I wish wish wish I could do that but as with most things I doubt Ihave the time to learn (note, not 'I dont have the patience')

Chibils

L1: Registered
Sep 19, 2009
I get one of two error messages any time I try to view demos. They're not consistent with which demo I watch (i.e. I will get one for demo a, then the other error for demo b. This error crashes my game. So I reload it, try demo c, and get the first error. Then I try demo a again and suddenly, instead of the first error, it crashes. Make sense?) I have downloaded three different ones of my favorite map (fastlane) so that I can learn how the class is played for comp play (I know fastlane isn't used much, but I know it like the back of my hand; that way I can follow how it's played rather than trying to catch up on the map). If it's relevant (I'm sure it is) I'll post the text of the error messages.

P.S. Paria, that video is EPIC.

Chibils

L1: Registered
Sep 19, 2009
I just went off a link I found (apparently not in this thread, though I thought it was) and downloaded some high-ranked fastlane demos. I can't attest to the age, though # of ratings generally corresponds to the age of the file.