[GUIDE] Youme's guide to displacement cliffs

Amun-Ra

L1: Registered
Mar 21, 2008
Tip newbies like me: Hold down the shift button to go back and forth in each dimension when you're painting your geometry.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
It's a bit late, and a bit irrelavent regarding displacements directly. But it is nice to see someone encouraging people to align their textures at wall corners. It makes a hell of a difference on displacements, so it is good to see you included this for people to read, so that they don't miss out one something that makes their maps that little bit more neat and proffesionally finished.

thunderdraco

Mar 29, 2008
how exactly did he make the opening for the tunnel? Clip tool or something? Also, if you were to continue creating a map using that design, and made the tunnel lead to the other side of that cliff, would you have to put brushes on the other side? Because it looks like the back of the cliff was pushed in when you were playing with it.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I used the clip tool, two vertical clips and one horizontal, then deleted the brush that was in the 'entrance' to the tunnel.
If you want to make a cliff on the other side with the tunnel coming out of it just do exactly the same but mirror it.

cruizer

L2: Junior Member
Mar 6, 2008
Wjhat i want to know is how to do the top and two sides with an exterior corner. Everytime I do it, the seams come apart, and it won't allow me to sew them

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I've heard lots about people's seams coming apart, I've never actually had this problem so I can't imagine what causes it.
Descriptions of displacements really suck so unfortunatly I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to do, there is the sample .vmf I posted here which has most joins that you'd want to do, feel free to cut bits out of it and use it in your own map, Its not like its a highly super awesome thing I made that I want exculsivity over, its just a cliff...

Lord Ned

L420: High Member
Feb 11, 2008
What surprised me, is looking at valve maps.

I always thought their cliffs were made out of one block, and they just picked each side to make, etc.

But actually each "block" is 6 different brushes, that overlap at the edges. I guess it's so if they vertex manip it doesn't mess up?

phatal

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 8, 2008
What surprised me, is looking at valve maps.

I always thought their cliffs were made out of one block, and they just picked each side to make, etc.

But actually each "block" is 6 different brushes, that overlap at the edges. I guess it's so if they vertex manip it doesn't mess up?

No... it's because displacements are best made with individual brushes not solid cubes.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
No... it's because displacements are best made with individual brushes not solid cubes.

Do you actually have any proof of that? It based on anything?

I almost always make them out of the individual brushes as standard practice but I've never actually thought about why I do.

Lord Ned

L420: High Member
Feb 11, 2008
It gets confusing in the 2d view when you have things overlaping. :w00t:

Code:
_
 |

End result is that, but you have it more like this in the editor:
Code:
____
__|_|
  | |
  | |

Though I forgot that you can slant the corners on the VERTICAL axis too. (I always cut the corners and made them fit like you have it for the walls, but never for where the top meets the walls.

cruizer

L2: Junior Member
Mar 6, 2008
Maybe because when you do displacements, the only side that shows is the side you pick. All the other sides of the brush become invisible. Perhaps because of that they can overlap brushes, the graphics engine isn't trying to draw them that way.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I think it's more a case of it's no longer a "brush". It doesn't block vis and confuse the hell out of the compiler trying to form leaf nodes.

EDIT:
Do you actually have any proof of that? It based on anything?

I almost always make them out of the individual brushes as standard practice but I've never actually thought about why I do.

I do both, depends how i feel :p but if i mess up a displacement that is part of a number of disaplacement sides of the same brush, i have to destroy the whole brush to reset it if i can't undo it. So it's probably good practice to do it individually.

Also the decompilers around seem to not recognise displacements as whole objects (if they are at all) so it'll seperate all the faces making it hard to tell what's actually happening in the design process. It looked like in DoD they used several faces to a single brush on some displacements, but i didn't care to take notice of it in tf2, nor did i care to research into it propely, i just got some interesting decompile errors that made it appear that way.

Last edited:

VeryBad

May 25, 2008
First, I loved this tutorial! After reading the tutorial alone, I loaded up hammer and made a quick study map. Then I did some things that, well, in later replies you say were no-no's. When I made my cliffs, I started with the power of 2, and ended up with some fugly looking jagged edges. So I bumped up to the power of 4, subdivided and well had a smooth yet oddly shaped fugly cliff. So my bright idea was, "let's see if I can't smooth out these fugly bits. Of course it was before I read this;
As a rule of thumb I never ever touch the smooth tool. It just doesn't work and if you try to smooth on a non perpendicular axis it really F***s your displacement.
Well I played with it for a sec and yes it did some odd things. Then I messed with the options. Trying different Axis' didn’t get me much progress, but I was sure that it had to work somehow. So I un-clicked the "Spatial" box, selected Axis Subdiv Normal and bingo it smoothed out the fugly points I was having problems with. After some more play time I found no significant difference between Axis Subdiv and Face Normal. Not to say there is not one, I just didn't see one. I also didn't try x, y, or z. They just didn't seem like the options I needed. Also I later tried playing with this tool on an inclined (non-ortho) displacement, and it did make it smooth. Maybe a bit too smooth, like flat. So I’d stick to making my displacements Ortho only for now, possibly rotating them later but seems like asking for headaches. I am kind of glad I played around before reading all the replies in the 6 pages first though. Other wise I might not have tried making smooth work. Anyhow, this is a great tutorial, thanks Youme.

Juice

L4: Comfortable Member
Feb 17, 2008
Good thing I re-read this, I was making displacements and never cut through all the dispacements, no wonder I kept getting splits!

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
VeryBad - you can uncheck spatial as you say to smooth but I find that it smooths stuff way too much and I like to have full control over everything anyway so 90% of my displacements are done point by point, radius set to 1
I'll agree that making displacements where they aren't perpendicular to any of the three axis is 'tricky'.

94Sniper

Apr 26, 2008
I feel like the biggest noob on earth asking this, but how do you select only one side of a face at a time?

MungoKing

L3: Member
Jul 12, 2008
And just make sure you have the mode to lift + select also. I accidentally had it on apply (textures + values) and was wondering why it wasn't working :rolleyes:. Simple mistake, but easily overlooked, hehe.

Wigs

Sep 13, 2008
I've heard lots about people's seams coming apart, I've never actually had this problem so I can't imagine what causes it.
Descriptions of displacements really suck so unfortunatly I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to do, there is the sample .vmf I posted here which has most joins that you'd want to do, feel free to cut bits out of it and use it in your own map, Its not like its a highly super awesome thing I made that I want exculsivity over, its just a cliff...

not sure if it's relavent now but i had this same problem when following the tutorial i decided to start over and realized that you have to clip off the edges of the tunnel entrance just like you did on the corners. its an easy detail to miss but basically treat the tunnel entrance just like the corner in the screenshot clip all the edges