Glacier

CP Glacier RC6

Jan 31, 2008
They packed in mine with hoodoo, but then they bought those off me..

Well, they didn't pack it into the bsp, they forced everyone to update their particle manifest in their gcf files. So basically, not even Valve are able to do it.

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
wow, there's more snow here than in California.

btw, please excuse me as I go to change my pants.

kankle_king

L4: Comfortable Member
Jan 31, 2009
C takes days to cap, and RED spawns way too fast and way too close. Unplayable until that is fixed. We played 2 round and TWICE killed the entire team on Attack, 4 of us stood on C, their team respawned and killed us all. Otherwise outstanding textures and most of the layout seems well designed

ghouly

L1: Registered
May 12, 2009
This map is absolutely stunning, Acegikmo! I really wish you could get those snow particle effects working. :C Stupid limitations!

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Well, they didn't pack it into the bsp, they forced everyone to update their particle manifest in their gcf files. So basically, not even Valve are able to do it.

oh no thats what I meant they did, they packed them into the gcf. I doubt they'd do that with your snow though, did you get a resp... oh wait, its the weekend :(

Jan 31, 2008
C takes days to cap, and RED spawns way too fast and way too close. Unplayable until that is fixed. We played 2 round and TWICE killed the entire team on Attack, 4 of us stood on C, their team respawned and killed us all. Otherwise outstanding textures and most of the layout seems well designed

I have increased red's respawntime for alpha 17. I tried it today. Red won once and blue won the other round. Will probably try it out again later tonight :)

Jan 31, 2008
I got a reply from one of the guys at Valve.
I asked if he could implement the custom particle packing in TF2.
This is his answer:

Valve said:
because its not in tf2 only mods based on the source

He didn't answer my question :(
I mailed the question back again. We'll see what he says then.
I'm still awaiting reply from the other guy I sent it to aswell.

Connect_Four

L2: Junior Member
Jan 28, 2009
Played this on 2f2f today. I gotta say, I'm lovin' it. The last version I tested was alpha 5 or so, so this was a great sight to see. From what I remember, I love the new changes, including:

-Less open area around Blu's entrances to Capture Point A. It always seemed too big in previous versions.
-The route from A to C has undergone a great makeover. It also felt very huge in previous alpha iterations.
-Reworking Cap C :wow: The multiple entrances and paths makes it such a fun place to defend and assault

However, there was a few issues that I noticed:

-Cap A area was really open to demo and sniper fire from all angles
-The route from Blu Spawn (A big bridge I believe) was very open to sniper fire and the cover provided was very minimal
-The Fort. Although I enjoyed royale with cheese constantly yelling at me to leave it, I found it to add nothing to gameplay, and it just being an inside joke(I presume) and aesthetic. The only problem with the fort was that I noticed with it was the idiocrary of our team's engineers to build everything in their, causing our team to be down at least 3 men. Maybe you could place a func_nobuild in there.

Other than that, I would like to repeat: I love the map. Each point requires different strategies and that ice cave is orgasmic :drool1:. Can't wait for beta :D

Jan 31, 2008
Thanks for the feedback!
Glad you like the changes to the map :)

The area at A is quite open, but as a blue player you can go on the left side behind the buildings. There is an ammopack and a health pack there, and also a window to snipe enemies or sentries. It shouldn't be too open.

The bridge was added after a full round of spawncamping. Red was able to spawncamp blue until the time was up. F_M and I talked it over, and found that the best solution would probably be to let blue have a third exit, which would give them height advantage, and another path to the upper level of B.

Yes, the fort was an inside joke. It began with someone noticing that you could squeeze yourself under the stairs, and he called it the fort. After that I added the sign and so on. I think I'll keep the fort, at least during the alpha versions. I could make the fort close once setup is over.

Phobos

L3: Member
Feb 22, 2009
You're already at a17? On which server do you playtest the map? I've only seen a12 in rotation on servers near me.

Good to see the respawn times of red tweaked. I had the same experience as kankle_king.

Jan 31, 2008
Updated to alpha 19 in the first post.
Updated the screenshots of A and C aswell.

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
Is there any story behind point A? The building and gameplay is nice, but it doesn't feel like there's actually anything HAPPENING there, like say a husky rental centre.

Jan 31, 2008
Is there any story behind point A? The building and gameplay is nice, but it doesn't feel like there's actually anything HAPPENING there, like say a husky rental centre.

Not sure yet; I'll think about it more once I detail it some more :)

E.B.

L1: Registered
Mar 15, 2009

I love the trucks full of snow + rock at point A; maybe it could be an excavation site at the point? Or have something to do with the train tracks around point C? Maybe there's a diamond mine underneath everything or something.

Jan 31, 2008
Get a reply from Tony yet??

Yes!
This is all he said as a reply to my long elaborate mail:

Valve's Tony said:
because its not in tf2 only mods based on the source

He didn't answer my question. :unsure:
Obviously it doesn't work, I asked if they were to fix it some day.

I love the trucks full of snow + rock at point A; maybe it could be an excavation site at the point? Or have something to do with the train tracks around point C? Maybe there's a diamond mine underneath everything or something.

Yeah, could add that :)
Thanks for the ideas!