Glacier

CP Glacier RC6

Tristanic

L1: Registered
May 21, 2009
That's a very nice looking map, especially like point C.

While running around, I couldn't find point B :confused: So I think B needs few more signs, because there is only one - high on the pillar.

Looking forward to this great map!

Jan 31, 2008
After playing a couple rounds on it, I'm inclined to think there should be substantially less possibility of accidentally falling into deathpits. Here are a few suggestions:

glacier_suggestions.jpg

It still keeps the danger in a couple key areas, but reduces the frustration of accidentally falling into one in the middle of a battlezone by strafing to the side or running backwards.

Thanks for the feedback :)
First let's number the screenshots you gave me from 1 to 6 like this:

1. Yeah, I think I'll add railing there
  2. Maybe there too, I might restructure that piece of ground to look better, and to reduce the rish of falling down
  3. Adding ammo and health there would probably be too much help for the red team, especially since the last update where I decreased red's wavetime
  4. I have been thinking about that hole. It's a bit of an annoying trap, I'll probably fill it in
  5. I'm not too sure on this one. If you look at the gravelpit a-b connection, it does give players a bit of an extra path to walk inside b, to get to C. I was trying to do the same. Besides, this hole is quite large, so you shouldn't miss it, unlike the one in image #4
  6. I don't think I'll fill this one either, but I'll probably add some visual warning to it.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I uploaded a10 to the US server and was just about to run it yesterday... then the update came out and priorities changed. it's still on the server though if you want to run a test.

Jan 31, 2008
I uploaded a10 to the US server and was just about to run it yesterday... then the update came out and priorities changed. it's still on the server though if you want to run a test.

Yeah that would be nice :)
What time?

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I personally don't have the ability to schedual events much now, I do things as and when I feel I can spare some time, either catch me in chat when I'm around in the evening (american afternoon) or simply ask one of the other mods, I'm sure they'll all be happy to change the map and post an event to draw players in, although that might not be needed if the server was running one of the new maps before hand.

Jan 31, 2008
Alpha 12 released!
Changelog in the first post :)
Alpha 11 was tested internally, and alpha 12 was finished shortly after. So there's no reason to released a11.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
:blink: you're getting out alphas very quickly, we never ran a10 on the server yet..

Gaw

L4: Comfortable Member
Apr 21, 2009
This is not thorough, it is what I thought after 1 match of playing ;)

picture1 - I do not like the texture of any of these rocks on the map. They don't look realistic, I hate them.

picture2 - The texture of the stone (it appears at other parts of the map aswell) is not nice. It doesn't look realistic, it looks very 2D.

picture3 - I think if these planks of wood were seperated so you could fall down between them, it would add some excitment to this particular part of the map.

picture4 - The walls here in the red spawn look very dull and bland. If you simply added some decals then it would look alot better.

:sleep:

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
This is not thorough, it is what I thought after 1 match of playing ;)

picture1 - I do not like the texture of any of these rocks on the map. They don't look realistic, I hate them.

picture2 - The texture of the stone (it appears at other parts of the map aswell) is not nice. It doesn't look realistic, it looks very 2D.

picture3 - I think if these planks of wood were seperated so you could fall down between them, it would add some excitment to this particular part of the map.

picture4 - The walls here in the red spawn look very dull and bland. If you simply added some decals then it would look alot better.

:sleep:

You're aware that as this is an alpha, it hasn't been detailed?

SuperNerd

L2: Junior Member
May 13, 2009
If they look 2d then I think Ace has achieved true TF2, a cartoon-style multiplayer shooter.

CARTOON STYLE, what's with detailing?

Jan 31, 2008
Began detailing some at A, and added snowfall.
It's not possible to pack it into the bsp though :(
I've sent two mails to employees at Valve about the issue, hopefully they'll be able to help me (And other mappers who want custom particle effects).
Anyway, two images:

cp_glacier_a170012.jpg

cp_glacier_a170011.jpg

Fireman

L4: Comfortable Member
Mar 21, 2008
I've gotta say, just from those two screenshots, that snowfall looks FANTASTIC. I really can't wait to play this with that added in :D

Jan 31, 2008
Hope you get a reply from Valve about the snow. They should be able to reverse engineer the rain from sawmill into a snow texture.

That's already possible to do by myself, it's just that rain doesn't behave the same way as snow.
I made my own particle system, but it's not possible to pack custom particles into custom maps right now, which is what I am asking Valve about :)