Glacier

CP Glacier RC6

engoldin

L2: Junior Member
Apr 10, 2009
Just wanted to toss out a word of encouragement.... This is looking really great. Really creative implementation of the new aesthetic. The look is so unique that a lot of people will give it a shot just for that. That's a quality that most maps can't boast. If the gameplay's as good as the detailing, I'd say you have a winner.

Cerious

L420: High Member
Aug 10, 2008
personally, i'd like to see better optimization than better visuals... regardless, if you can put both in one package, i can see this map becoming a hit.

Jan 31, 2008
personally, i'd like to see better optimization than better visuals... regardless, if you can put both in one package, i can see this map becoming a hit.

Hopefully, yeah.
The problem with 3-cp maps is that they're split into large open areas where pretty much everything is visible at the same time.
Gravel pit got away with it, since there aren't many people complaining about the lack of detailing in Valve's maps.

Jan 31, 2008
Could you, by any chance, show me what's inside the vmt. file of that ice material?
I have ice in my map and I'd like to have a shader like that...

My ice material consists of four textures:
  • Diffuse map (The texture)
  • Environment map (Sninyness)
  • Environment map mask (To control the amount of shinyness on different parts of the texture)
  • Bumpmap (To make it look less flat)

I will release the ice material after cp_glacier is released, if you're still working on yours by then :)

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Hopefully, yeah.
The problem with 3-cp maps is that they're split into large open areas where pretty much everything is visible at the same time.
Gravel pit got away with it, since there aren't many people complaining about the lack of detailing in Valve's maps.

All you need to do is ensure the four areas (A, B, C and blu's spawn) cannot possibly see each other and that even standing in the middle of the tunnels between them you can't see either end. then you've got four separate areas which you can cram full of detail, thats how gravelpit got away with it.

Jan 31, 2008
All you need to do is ensure the four areas (A, B, C and blu's spawn) cannot possibly see each other and that even standing in the middle of the tunnels between them you can't see either end. then you've got four separate areas which you can cram full of detail, thats how gravelpit got away with it.

I know, that's what I've done.
What I am saying is that gravelpit have alot of empty places which could use alot more detail.
Valve can get away with this since people don't critisize their maps on the same level as custom maps. So if I would release a map with the same amount of detail as gravelpit, some people would say it needs more detail. If I detailed it, it would probably lag.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I know, that's what I've done.
What I am saying is that gravelpit have alot of empty places which could use alot more detail.
Valve can get away with this since people don't critisize their maps on the same level as custom maps. So if I would release a map with the same amount of detail as gravelpit, some people would say it needs more detail. If I detailed it, it would probably lag.
Exactly my problem with furnace creek, it's got roughly the same ammount of detail as gravel pit and yet its being claimed as empty :confused:

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
Check WHERE you put the detail. Remember that wall in 2fort, at the back of the stairs? Of course you don't - you never look at it. Go spectator, see what catches people's eye, put detail to emphasize those points. That way, it can be incredibly empty - but yet feel very detailed.

Jan 31, 2008
Well, maybe three or four more alphas to fix the gameplay a bit more, then I'm ready to detail :)

SuperNerd

L2: Junior Member
May 13, 2009
... If I detailed it, it would probably lag.

You can sort of solve that issue with:

Areaportalwindows
Areaportals
Occluders
Hints

Create area portals and link triggers to them, but position it so that they'll never notice.
Also, stick occluders in all solid brushes, so models don't render through them.
Use "mat_wireframe 1" to see through things.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2008
You can sort of solve that issue with:

Areaportalwindows
Areaportals
Occluders
Hints

Create area portals and link triggers to them, but position it so that they'll never notice.
Also, stick occluders in all solid brushes, so models don't render through them.
Use "mat_wireframe 1" to see through things.

Areaportals won't help when you can see a big chunk of a whole area, the same goes with hints.
And placing occluders in every solid brush would kill the framerate.

Pretty much the only thing I can do is to have fade distances on the props.

eyefork

L3: Member
Oct 27, 2008
If it doesn't throw off the balance somehow, could Red possibly get a stairway on the interior of the spawn or something of the sort to get to the top level? It's a bummer to be spawned on the lower level when you want to be on the top and you aren't a class that can jump up there.

Jan 31, 2008
If it doesn't throw off the balance somehow, could Red possibly get a stairway on the interior of the spawn or something of the sort to get to the top level? It's a bummer to be spawned on the lower level when you want to be on the top and you aren't a class that can jump up there.

That was the point from the beginning.
I was thinking that the height advantage of always spawning on the top level would make it too hard for blue to win.
However, I have now changed it. I sealed the hole and added some stairs on the back. Now it's more of a tradeoff; if you want to get up you'll have to walk a time consuming bit.

I am uploading Alpha 10 right now by the way.

Jan 31, 2008
Been changing the A-C connection to make it a bit more tight.
Screenshots:

cp_glacier_a110001.jpg

cp_glacier_a110004.jpg

Alpha 11 should be out tomorrow

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
I haven't read the last few pages, only the last few posts but what I got is that you didn't feel area portals would help your optimization and were just going to use fade distances on objects.

Do use fade dist but also use area portals. Objects that can't be seen directly through an area portal will be culled, even if the entire area of terrain around them isn't.
And when all the players are running around just out of view it will help alot.

(sorry if you're aware of this already)

Jan 31, 2008
I haven't read the last few pages, only the last few posts but what I got is that you didn't feel area portals would help your optimization and were just going to use fade distances on objects.
Do use fade dist but also use area portals. Objects that can't be seen directly through an area portal will be culled, even if the entire area of terrain around them isn't.

I was trying to say that it's not really possible to optimize more than to place areaportals between the large areas (A, B, C and blue's spawn) with areaportals, which I have already done :)

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
After playing a couple rounds on it, I'm inclined to think there should be substantially less possibility of accidentally falling into deathpits. Here are a few suggestions:

glacier_suggestions.jpg

It still keeps the danger in a couple key areas, but reduces the frustration of accidentally falling into one in the middle of a battlezone by strafing to the side or running backwards.

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
After playing a couple rounds on it, I'm inclined to think there should be substantially less possibility of accidentally falling into deathpits. Here are a few suggestions:

It still keeps the danger in a couple key areas, but reduces the frustration of accidentally falling into one in the middle of a battlezone by strafing to the side or running backwards.

OK ;) (area portals)

I agree with Shmitz. Always good to minimize frustration and what he recommended looks good to me. That was a problem (not death pits but difficulty navigating) in the early vers of pl_cumulus (I believe). The ground look great but it was too hard to get around in a fast paced game when you're looking at players and rockets coming at you and not the ground.

If it was single player I'd say more death traps is better.