getting stuck in my models

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!
Oct 6, 2008
hi I need red/blue to ride a mining cart to a certain point but I'm getting stuck - ant ideas on how not to get stuck in a model?

sorry forgot to add it's a func_train

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2008
Ok I just tried that and my carts just fell out of the sky - the train still works (cause I can here it moving around the map) any more ideas?

Last edited:

ics

http://ics-base.net
aa
Jun 17, 2010
Follow this guide for setting up the cart https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/TF2/Creating_a_Payload_Map

However, it won't explain how exactly to make the cart so that it will also destroy dispensers and such from it's way. For example badwater and goldrush carts will do that, but barnblitz cart won't. It just goes through dispenser, own or enemy. The guide teaches you to do that destroy trigger in front of the cart but it doesn't seem to work. When i did my map, i got it working but it killed every player once cart turned uphill. Funny stuff.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2008
Ok, I think I have found a working solution

Using Froz3n's thing above I put an addtional fence/box aroung the cart that the player could jump into.

I made it a func_brush - called it red/blue_cart_fence and have it turning on/off as it passes the pathtrack nodes.

Seems to be working well.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
The trick to making a trigger_hurt that doesn't damage players is to use a filter_classname that rejects "player". Parent it to the cart and there you go, buildings exploding on contact.

Oct 6, 2008
Sorry for the bump but it would appear that I have the cmplete opposite happening now - I can't stay in the cart it just goes right through me and I'm using the exact same coding as the original via a copy paste.

Any ideas why it would work on map A but not on Map B? On Map A I'm stuck solid until I turn off my fence. On Map B nothing seems to be working and I've tried several diferent setups now to get me to stick back inside the cart (including the BSP yes/no option to allow you to ride around on a platform while inside the map.

Mr. Happy

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 16, 2008
So you make a func_brush around the cart model and attached it to the func_train hoping that it would carry the prop_physics_override along with it? Without going into to much detail, don't. Just...no ;)

When you make the prop_physics_override you will need to use a phys_constraint to attach it to the func_tracktrain. That is the proper way to attach the two and will prevent it from falling.

Oct 6, 2008
So you make a func_brush around the cart model and attached it to the func_train hoping that it would carry the prop_physics_override along with it? Without going into to much detail, don't. Just...no ;)

When you make the prop_physics_override you will need to use a phys_constraint to attach it to the func_tracktrain. That is the proper way to attach the two and will prevent it from falling.

Yep double checked that - that's the way I had it working in the first place, then when I copy/pasted it into mp new map it no linger works - so I tried adding a brush

Mr. Happy

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 16, 2008
Having a brush drag it along will give unpredicatble results, cause lag (as the server will need to calculate a LOT of networked physics) and the prop may even 'freak out' and escape from confinement.

If the constraint stopped working than I suggest there is something else at fault, maybe you forgot to select part of the setup, made a typo or accidentally changed something else. There's no logical reason that something would work in one map and not in another unless they aren't the same. Try doing it over again double checking everything, in the main map.

Oct 6, 2008
ok got it working - THANKS!

the track_train usually encases the model - so I recreated the train with a hole for the player to sit - works even better than before this way :)

Last edited: