1. Hey Guest, welcome to the new forums. Be sure to check out this thread to get all the information you need on the cool new stuff!

Our servers are now running a Steam Workshop rotation, if you'd like your map to be considered for inclusion on our rotation, post in the rotation discussion thread

Or, if you just want to play some of the best community maps the Workshop has to offer, you can join our servers by clicking these links:

Model forklift - WIP

Discussion in 'Models & Textures' started by Sgt Frag, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Sgt Frag

Sgt Frag L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    Been awhile since I've posted any models. This one is needed for Hoover and Oakland so I figured it would be a good break from Hammer.

Still have to add some polys, it's about 1500 right now. Baked an AO so I wanted to see it with some colors.

I'll release it once finished.
    ------
    edit--
    in game shot, still alot to do.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2009
  2. uma plata

uma plata L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Looks awesome!

Planning on doing red/blue skins in addition to yellow? (Just curious)

3. DaFatCat

DaFatCat L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    I really like it! I also think it should have red and blue skins.

4. Sgt Frag

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, I probably will. Once it's compiled you don't want to do it again.

5. Sel

Sel Banned

Positive Ratings:
    Looks pretty cool.

[​IMG]

There's a few small smoothing errors errors circled in red, nothing all that bad. I circled the green thinking it might have been another one, but I think you just modeled it that way.

6. medd

medd L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Very cool, keep up the good work. It would also be cool if you could add a separate model with the fork fully raised... could add to some fun game play.

7. Sgt Frag

Positive Ratings:
    Those smoothing issues aren't noticeable in game, but I still have to go trough and assign smoothing groups anyway.

Takes so long to finish a model anymore I can't wait until it's complete to see it in-game...

Not sure what I'm gonna do yet. Either
    1: animate the fork so authors can choose the position (hopefully it would be useable as a lift still (have to experiment)

2: just have the fork as a seperate model if above doesn't work.

8. medd

medd L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:

I never thought about the animation thing, but that would be really cool.
    I'd be happy either way :)

9. Sel

Sel Banned

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah do it, it's nothing major but I did notice it in the ingame pictures you posted. It's a pretty quick fix so it's worth the 20 seconds it takes to do. : p

10. Icarus

aa Icarus

Positive Ratings:
    it might be easier to have them separate and then just animate them in game with parenting

11. StoneFrog

StoneFrog L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    It's nice! I really want a forklift (that isn't stolen from CSS) for my storage areas. :)

However, you may want to use more subtle, painterly-style textures. Right now the vibrant color scheme kind of reminds me of a primitive CGI 90s instructional video.

12. Sgt Frag

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, probably best as 2 pieces.

I'm gonna try an animated one too, just because I haven't imported any anims into Hammer yet. (stupid simple anim, but good for a test). I'm supposed to be beta testing an importer too so I gotta figure that out.

@StoneFrog.
    are you taking about the top 2 pics, or all three? The last one was updated, a bit dirtier and has chipped metal. I think it's getting pretty close, but if there's something more I can do. I actually toned down the yellow hue quite a bit too for the ingame shot.

13. StoneFrog

StoneFrog L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Eh, I still think the in-game incarnation still seems a bit too vibrant. Of course, do what you think looks best, but that's my opinion. :p