1. Hey Guest, welcome to the new forums. Be sure to check out this thread to get all the information you need on the cool new stuff!

Model forklift - WIP

Discussion in 'Models & Textures' started by Sgt Frag, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Sgt Frag

Sgt Frag L14: Epic Member

Thanks Received:
    Been awhile since I've posted any models. This one is needed for Hoover and Oakland so I figured it would be a good break from Hammer.

Still have to add some polys, it's about 1500 right now. Baked an AO so I wanted to see it with some colors.

I'll release it once finished.
    ------
    edit--
    in game shot, still alot to do.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2009
  2. uma plata

uma plata L6: Sharp Member

Thanks Received:
    Looks awesome!

Planning on doing red/blue skins in addition to yellow? (Just curious)

3. DaFatCat

DaFatCat L3: Member

Thanks Received:
    I really like it! I also think it should have red and blue skins.

4. Sgt Frag

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I probably will. Once it's compiled you don't want to do it again.

5. Sel

Sel Banned

Thanks Received:
    Looks pretty cool.

[​IMG]

There's a few small smoothing errors errors circled in red, nothing all that bad. I circled the green thinking it might have been another one, but I think you just modeled it that way.

6. medd

medd L2: Junior Member

Thanks Received:
    Very cool, keep up the good work. It would also be cool if you could add a separate model with the fork fully raised... could add to some fun game play.

7. Sgt Frag

Thanks Received:
    Those smoothing issues aren't noticeable in game, but I still have to go trough and assign smoothing groups anyway.

Takes so long to finish a model anymore I can't wait until it's complete to see it in-game...

Not sure what I'm gonna do yet. Either
    1: animate the fork so authors can choose the position (hopefully it would be useable as a lift still (have to experiment)

2: just have the fork as a seperate model if above doesn't work.

8. medd

medd L2: Junior Member

Thanks Received:

I never thought about the animation thing, but that would be really cool.
    I'd be happy either way :)

9. Sel

Sel Banned

Thanks Received:
    Yeah do it, it's nothing major but I did notice it in the ingame pictures you posted. It's a pretty quick fix so it's worth the 20 seconds it takes to do. : p

10. Icarus

aa Icarus

Thanks Received:
    it might be easier to have them separate and then just animate them in game with parenting

11. StoneFrog

StoneFrog L6: Sharp Member

Thanks Received:
    It's nice! I really want a forklift (that isn't stolen from CSS) for my storage areas. :)

However, you may want to use more subtle, painterly-style textures. Right now the vibrant color scheme kind of reminds me of a primitive CGI 90s instructional video.

12. Sgt Frag

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, probably best as 2 pieces.

I'm gonna try an animated one too, just because I haven't imported any anims into Hammer yet. (stupid simple anim, but good for a test). I'm supposed to be beta testing an importer too so I gotta figure that out.

@StoneFrog.
    are you taking about the top 2 pics, or all three? The last one was updated, a bit dirtier and has chipped metal. I think it's getting pretty close, but if there's something more I can do. I actually toned down the yellow hue quite a bit too for the ingame shot.

13. StoneFrog

StoneFrog L6: Sharp Member

Thanks Received:
    Eh, I still think the in-game incarnation still seems a bit too vibrant. Of course, do what you think looks best, but that's my opinion. :p