Feedback II

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I think maybe the plugin should do a conglomerate of posts on the map after every time it's played, rather than a single post from each person that comments. Otherwise, with a map getting upwards of 30 annotations every play, the thread would be spammed with just 1-line posts.

Well, I would certainly recommend at least waiting until the map ends to make the posts, and then consolidating comments from the same user into a single post, since that's how it works when people post feedback in the forums manually. I don't know how much that would reduce the average post-to-user ratio because I don't pay a lot of attention to the feedback site.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I think what I might prefer is just a bot account linking to the feedback page, because then the location-specific notes aren't completely without context, and it won't really clog any threads. It also means that any map tested basically gets an auto-bump to remind people about any feedback they wanted to post.

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
Well, I would certainly recommend at least waiting until the map ends to make the posts, and then consolidating comments from the same user into a single post, since that's how it works when people post feedback in the forums manually. I don't know how much that would reduce the average post-to-user ratio because I don't pay a lot of attention to the feedback site.

Nah. Most feedback pages have two or three people posting lots, and then thirty others with one post each.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Sent you a steam message about it but just in case you don't get it:

10:03 - YM: Hey just so you know, the feedback is currently tracking rounds with 0 players and adding them to the statistics http://feedback.tf2maps.net/map/tc_strata_b1c/ Strata ran last night and has five totally empty rounds logged

EDIT: RE the bot posting in threads, ONLY do this if the bot posts one post per time the map is played. Last night strata had 29 comments from 10 different players, I don't want 29 posts per play, nor even 10 posts per play. one single post is sufficient thank you, all it needs to say is "Your map was played and people left feedback, here's a link: <link>" Nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited:

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
Something I thought of just now: Is there a way for server ops to set Feedback to only be active when certain maps are running? Because I know there are some "normal" servers that host in-development maps from time to time, and one or two are even set up to run Feedback, but I wouldn't want them having it active 24/7. I've seen automated messages in chat saying that the creator of the current map is looking for feedback, which seems to suggest that feature already exists. I just wanted to be clear about it, since I might be planning to find offsite servers to host Turbine2 when it reaches beta.

Bloodhound

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 3, 2011
Good idea.
There is are some ways to do this.
One thing I can think of, is that you create a text file, where you list the maps, like in the maplist.txt.
Another way would be an online list, with custom maps.
But I think server admins wouldn't like it, if they can't decide them self what map should get FB.
But the second option would be easier to manage, and could be administrated by tf2maps.net.

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
I think an online list would work. If server admins have the plugin installed and running, it's probably safe to assume they want to allow feedback on any eligible map. In fact, they could just set it up so that any map that's been "claimed" on the Feedback site is assumed to be a custom map that the creator wants feedback on. And if the creator has moved on to a later version and wants to disable feedback, they can "close" older versions of the map. Which is a good idea anyway since it would also disable posting directly on the feedback page.

Geit

&#128156; I probably broke it &#128156;
aa
May 28, 2009
Sorry for my recent absence. I've been super busy with school and general life stuff - this year marks the end of my school life and the beginning of my university life (hopefully) and there's quite a bit of hassle related to meeting that goal.

Unfortunately I had to stop working on Feedback II because it was not approved by my Computing teachers for use as an A2 Coursework piece, limiting all development time to purely my free time - which I don't get much of nowadays (at least, free time where I have the energy to work).

Most of the documentation for the system is complete: I know what needs to be done and how it needs to be done, so given enough free time, I can do that. I'm not going to be able to do it at any point this year, but I am still hoping that I might have a little more free time in the new year.

Sorry again, for over-promising and under-delivering.

- Geit

Geit

aa
May 28, 2009
I've been meaning to do this for the past few days, but thought today would be more apt: Feedback II is now open source. You can find the code over at GitHub. I'm open to all manners of open source magics, such as pull requests and the like, should anyone wish to take the time out and contribute. Or, if you're an avid reader, but don't wish to contribute code, I'd be ecstatic if you'd leave some feedback on Feedback!

I've also prepared the source of the original Feedback stack for release, but I'm not sure on the security of the system as a whole, so will be holding off on releasing that until it is removed from active service (soon, hopefully).

Merry Christmas everyone - Have a great day!

https://github.com/Geit/tf2-feedback

EDIT: P.S. While I have gone and checked that I haven't left any sensitive data in the source code, I may have missed something so I would appreciate it if people could report stuff like that, if they find it.

Last edited:

Micnax

Back from the dead (again)
aa
Apr 25, 2009
Most excellent! It'd be pretty cool to poke around and see how it works.

Also, do you think you can get rid of that Warning! message on the feedback page? It doesn't remember that I've closed it and pops up on every screen you navigate to, which is kind of a bother :V

Geit

aa
May 28, 2009
Most excellent! It'd be pretty cool to poke around and see how it works.

Also, do you think you can get rid of that Warning! message on the feedback page? It doesn't remember that I've closed it and pops up on every screen you navigate to, which is kind of a bother :V

Sorted.

EDIT: Also, an update of the graph on the OP, for those that care:

y482.png

Last edited:

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
I remember when I was first on that chart

with like 100 annotations