1. Hey Guest, welcome to the new forums. Be sure to check out this thread to get all the information you need on the cool new stuff!

Evolution in Level Balance

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Kiddnils, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Kiddnils

Kiddnils L3: Member

Thanks Received:
    So a few days ago I saw a movie about evolution. There was a experiement with 2 platforms that could rotate. The scientists tried to find the best rotation for getting the same side of a coin. They rotated the two platform every round 5 degrees and throw the coins until they got the best results. It's really hard for me to explain.

Anyways I thought about involving "Evolution" in Level Design for improving Balance. Imagine that we have a big brush in the middle of our map and we want to find the best position for it. So our already existing programm would move the block a few units and run 3 rounds with bots until the block is "balanced".

Silly idea don't take it too serious. I just wanted to throw it in for discussion.

2. StickZer0

aa StickZer0 💙💙💃💙💙

Thanks Received:
    Level design kinda already works like this. Only kinda.

You have the first alpha "intelligently designed", then that gets playtested. Stuff that works stays (natural selection) and stuff that doesn't gets fixed or removed. Stuff is also added to fill niches.

It's more creatiolution (portmanteau of creation and evolution) than evolution, but it's still kinda interesting.

Kiddnils thanked this.
  3. Trotim

aa Trotim

Thanks Received:
    That's why you have multiple alphas and betas, yes. The thing in level design is that quality isn't absolutely objective, there is plenty of leeway for acceptable solutions.

Kiddnils thanked this.
  4. henke37

henke37 L13: Stunning Member

Thanks Received:
    And remember, evolution is about adapting to the current environment. If that environment is only bots then you may not get a good solution for human players.

Kiddnils thanked this.
  5. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Thanks Received:
    we do the same thing with humans anyway :p

Kiddnils thanked this.
  6. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Thanks Received:
    Empyre and Kiddnils thanked this.
  7. Tarry H Sruman

aa Tarry H Sruman Large Orphanage Proprietor